Re: [bolger] Re: Bending AS29 bottom plate

  • Rod Symington
    Message 1 of 46 , May 13, 2012
      I have the sheet in front of me: it calls for eight plates, secured by 68 1/2" bolts and set in mastic. The plates are to be manufactured from templates taken off the finished hull.

      The process may have its advantages (e.g. an indestructible bottom, plus the ability to add more internal ballast if needed), but the installation would be expensive, difficult, and very labor-intensive. I installed internal steel ballast for $750, in less than a day, working alone.

      Rod

      Message 46 of 46 , May 23, 2012
        Trevor Robertson had huge icicles grow in the cabin over the Antarctic winter - talk about endurence! Rationed heating days became wet and uncomfortable. He piled on snow for more insulation in Greenland winter!