Micro spars

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2012
      Hi again! I'm finally getting around to working on my Micro. It was stored outside under a tarp for almost two years and is 26 years old. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. Right now I just want to get it in the water for this season and then decide what to do with it in the fall (and the more I look at the design, the more I find to like).

      Anyway, I just stripped a whole lot of old varnish off the mainmast. Because I want to get sailing, I was wondering if oiling the wooden spars would be good for at least this one season. The mainmast is laminated from two 2x4's and a 1X4, but the rest are solid timber. If I oil them, will that make it difficult to varnish next year, or should I just paint everything? I'm going to paint the hull anyway, but I like the appearance of oiled wood.

      Keeping in mind the age and the fact that this is going to be a "workboat finish", any suggestions (including oils to try)?

      BTW, for various external reasons it's taken me awhile to become friends with this boat, but the more research I do, the more I'm convinced that this is a brilliant design! I only sailed it once, and I'm really looking forward to getting to learn it well.

      Thanks!
    • Bill Howard

        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2012

          I’d say the answer is yes, you can oil your spars this year and varnish them later or keep oiling them. What oil? That might be the real question. I have long used Deks Olje and in fact am putting it on my Micro spars, first several soaking coats of Deks Olje # 1 and then several of Deks Olje #2, which looks a lot like varnish and makes a surface finish of pretty good gloss but is more flexible, less likely to separate from the wood, and easier to maintain.

          My varnished spruce sprit-booms both got black spots wherever the varnish was dinged, and looked pretty sorry. I rounded-over the corners more, exposing bare wood of course, and treated this exposed wood with Deks Olje 1 and 2, going right over the varnish on the flat sides with both. So I am running an experiment, you might say, in mixing the two kinds of finish: how do these oils work on top of varnish? (I didn’t want to strip, you see!)

          Incidentally, Deks 1 is a very good primer for varnish, and you can do the whole Deks Olje system, 1 and 2, as I have done on a 100 year old Rushton lapstrake rowboat, and then varnish. I’d venture to say that is a very good way to go, the varnish then much less likely to get broken through to the wood and undermined by water penetration.

          What is Deks Olje? Good question. But whatever it is, it is a good wood-bulking agent and not mostly solvents. It goes into wood pores and gels and stays there, pretty much.

        • MylesJ. Swift
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2012

            Check out Deks Olje. You can do a light sand and re-apply as needed. It applies easily and quickly, no sanding between coats

            http://www.deksolje.com/index.php?langue=en&page=products-deks-olje-d1.

            I did my mast with WEST and then urethane. The finish gets slightly soft when it is really hot, so I think regular varnish is better.

            MylesJ

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2012
              Thanks Mason,

              does the deks olje ever rub off or stain the sails, or does it dry to a point where it's inert? I've begun to paint and finish my long-awaited Micro before my temporary boatshed's tarp finally photodegrades to nothing, and have been pondering options for finishing the spars. The thought of maintaining varnish on an unwieldy mast that's bound to get dinged up a lot (but also be very a visible part of the boat) has given me pause; this might be the solution I've been waiting for!

              Paul Lefebvre, world's slowest micro builder

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mason Smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

              > I'd say the answer is yes, you can oil
              > your spars this year and varnish them
              > later or keep oiling them. What oil?
              > That might be the real question. I have
              > long used Deks Olje and in fact am
              > putting it on my Micro spars, first
              > several soaking coats of Deks Olje # 1
              > and then several of Deks Olje #2, which
              > looks a lot like varnish and makes a
              > surface finish of pretty good gloss but
              > is more flexible, less likely to
              > separate from the wood, and easier to
              > maintain.
              >

              > My varnished spruce sprit-booms both got
              > black spots wherever the varnish was
              > dinged, and looked pretty sorry. I
              > rounded-over the corners more, exposing
              > bare wood of course, and treated this
              > exposed wood with Deks Olje 1 and 2,
              > going right over the varnish on the flat
              > sides with both. So I am running an
              > experiment, you might say, in mixing the
              > two kinds of finish: how do these oils
              > work on top of varnish? (I didn't want
              > to strip, you see!)
              >

              > Incidentally, Deks 1 is a very good
              > primer for varnish, and you can do the
              > whole Deks Olje system, 1 and 2, as I
              > have done on a 100 year old Rushton
              > lapstrake rowboat, and then varnish. I'd
              > venture to say that is a very good way
              > to go, the varnish then much less likely
              > to get broken through to the wood and
              > undermined by water penetration.
              >

              > What is Deks Olje? Good question. But
              > whatever it is, it is a good
              > wood-bulking agent and not mostly
              > solvents. It goes into wood pores and
              > gels and stays there, pretty much.

            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2012
                A less expensive option suitable for a workboat finish might be a 'Boat Soup' made from equal parts linseed oil, pine tar and turps. Applied properly it dries well and is easily touched up.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2012
                  Thanks,everyone! Still thinking...well, waffling really.

                  > A less expensive option suitable for a workboat finish might be a
                  > 'Boat Soup' made from equal parts linseed oil, pine tar and turps.
                  > Applied properly it dries well and is easily touched up.
                  >

                  > On May 9, 2012, at 7:12 AM, Paul wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks Mason,
                  > >
                  > > does the deks olje ever rub off or stain the sails, or does it dry
                  > > to a point where it's inert? I've begun to paint and finish my long-
                  > > awaited Micro before my temporary boatshed's tarp finally
                  > > photodegrades to nothing, and have been pondering options for
                  > > finishing the spars. The thought of maintaining varnish on an
                  > > unwieldy mast that's bound to get dinged up a lot (but also be very
                  > > a visible part of the boat) has given me pause; this might be the
                  > > solution I've been waiting for!
                  > >
                  > > Paul Lefebvre, world's slowest micro builder
                  > >
                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mason Smith" <masonsmith@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > I'd say the answer is yes, you can oil
                  > > > your spars this year and varnish them
                  > > > later or keep oiling them. What oil?
                  > > > That might be the real question. I have
                  > > > long used Deks Olje and in fact am
                  > > > putting it on my Micro spars, first
                  > > > several soaking coats of Deks Olje # 1
                  > > > and then several of Deks Olje #2, which
                  > > > looks a lot like varnish and makes a
                  > > > surface finish of pretty good gloss but
                  > > > is more flexible, less likely to
                  > > > separate from the wood, and easier to
                  > > > maintain.
                  > > >

                  > > > My varnished spruce sprit-booms both got
                  > > > black spots wherever the varnish was
                  > > > dinged, and looked pretty sorry. I
                  > > > rounded-over the corners more, exposing
                  > > > bare wood of course, and treated this
                  > > > exposed wood with Deks Olje 1 and 2,
                  > > > going right over the varnish on the flat
                  > > > sides with both. So I am running an
                  > > > experiment, you might say, in mixing the
                  > > > two kinds of finish: how do these oils
                  > > > work on top of varnish? (I didn't want
                  > > > to strip, you see!)
                  > > >

                  > > > Incidentally, Deks 1 is a very good
                  > > > primer for varnish, and you can do the
                  > > > whole Deks Olje system, 1 and 2, as I
                  > > > have done on a 100 year old Rushton
                  > > > lapstrake rowboat, and then varnish. I'd
                  > > > venture to say that is a very good way
                  > > > to go, the varnish then much less likely
                  > > > to get broken through to the wood and
                  > > > undermined by water penetration.
                  > > >

                  > > > What is Deks Olje? Good question. But
                  > > > whatever it is, it is a good
                  > > > wood-bulking agent and not mostly
                  > > > solvents. It goes into wood pores and
                  > > > gels and stays there, pretty much.

                • Connor, Patrick
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2012
                    Smells nice too!
                    --------------------------

                    A less expensive option suitable for a workboat finish might be a 'Boat Soup' made from equal parts linseed oil, pine tar and turps. Applied properly it dries well and is easily touched up.

                    On May 9, 2012, at 7:12 AM, Paul wrote:

                    Thanks Mason,

                    does the deks olje ever rub off or stain the sails, or does it dry to a point where it's inert? I've begun to paint and finish my long-awaited Micro before my temporary boatshed's tarp finally photodegrades to nothing, and have been pondering options for finishing the spars. The thought of maintaining varnish on an unwieldy mast that's bound to get dinged up a lot (but also be very a visible part of the boat) has given me pause; this might be the solution I've been waiting for!

                    Paul Lefebvre, world's slowest micro builder

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mason Smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

                    > I'd say the answer is yes, you can oil
                    > your spars this year and varnish them
                    > later or keep oiling them. What oil?
                    > That might be the real question. I have
                    > long used Deks Olje and in fact am
                    > putting it on my Micro spars, first
                    > several soaking coats of Deks Olje # 1
                    > and then several of Deks Olje #2, which
                    > looks a lot like varnish and makes a
                    > surface finish of pretty good gloss but
                    > is more flexible, less likely to
                    > separate from the wood, and easier to
                    > maintain.
                    >

                    > My varnished spruce sprit-booms both got
                    > black spots wherever the varnish was
                    > dinged, and looked pretty sorry. I
                    > rounded-over the corners more, exposing
                    > bare wood of course, and treated this
                    > exposed wood with Deks Olje 1 and 2,
                    > going right over the varnish on the flat
                    > sides with both. So I am running an
                    > experiment, you might say, in mixing the
                    > two kinds of finish: how do these oils
                    > work on top of varnish? (I didn't want
                    > to strip, you see!)
                    >

                    > Incidentally, Deks 1 is a very good
                    > primer for varnish, and you can do the
                    > whole Deks Olje system, 1 and 2, as I
                    > have done on a 100 year old Rushton
                    > lapstrake rowboat, and then varnish. I'd
                    > venture to say that is a very good way
                    > to go, the varnish then much less likely
                    > to get broken through to the wood and
                    > undermined by water penetration.
                    >

                    > What is Deks Olje? Good question. But
                    > whatever it is, it is a good
                    > wood-bulking agent and not mostly
                    > solvents. It goes into wood pores and
                    > gels and stays there, pretty much.

                  • Stefan Topolski
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 15, 2012
                      wears off, needs frequent build up, beautiful and easy to use but not to be left alone outside for a year or two.

                      paint's probably lower maintenance, a nice brown color wouldn't hurt.

                      All the Best,
                      Stefan

                      "One gathers peace as a feather in the palm of one's hand."    -anonymous

                      Stefan Topolski  MD
                      Assist. Professor, U. of Massachusetts Medical School
                      Clinical Instructor, U. of New England
                      Founder and Director of
                      Caring in Community, Inc.  501(c)3
                      1105 Mohawk Trail