Re: Lightweight marine ply

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 64 , May 1, 2012
      I've placed a scan of "water resistance of epoxy coatings" a
      test results article, in Jan/Feb/Mar 2012 Australian Amateur Boatbuilder #76, pp7&8, by Dr Bruce McConkey, Boatcraft Pacific, in the BOATBUILDING folder in group Files:

      Dr McConkey's article authoritatively advises on what type of epoxy coating, thinners & etc. Does it mean ENCAPSULATION or just one side though?

      Sheathing counteracts checking and or abraision if that's a likely issue with the material or location... A good paint system alone is often advised for unwetted, low wear areas... or all over for light, dry-sailed boats.

      my 2cents...

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

      > I suspect what you are saying is correct. Epoxy coating is not the be-all-end-all. However, monkey see monkey do, so I will sheathe and coat my AS29. But I will use a local epoxy that costs 40% of WEST. Is this false economy? I don't know. What does everyone else think?
      >
      > Neal
    • c.ruzer
      Message 64 of 64 , May 1, 2012