What's this Unknown Boat Design?

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2012
      I've pasted a photo in ZZZUnknown Boats Album of what may be a double ended Tancook type planked open gaff rigged boat by PCB as spotted in MAIB a few years ago. What's known of the details and background?

    • hulnl
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
        C,
        It looks like a Keel Whaler Sloop, design #396. Check 30-ODD BOATS. Yarrow is similar but has square coamings.

        Albert.

      • Susanne@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
          Could be 21'x7' Lug Whaleboat 'Windfola', Design #311.
          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2012
            The stern and rudder profile don't match the photo.But if it was modified by the builder...

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
              Albert,

              thanks, I believe you're correct. Edgar Denton, who commissioned the design of KEEL WHALER SLOOP, singlehanded a 28ft Tancook schooner daysailing on Little Sodus Bay and out into Lake Ontario, and that is where the photograph caption said the boat show was. I think the drawings on pages 210 and 212 of 30-ODD nail it by the tack and jib club boom. I don't think I've seen such a tackline taken through a dumb sheave at the waterline and led back around the bowsprit and inboard like this one. The doubled around tackline at the stem, and the club (by the way the jib lays on the deck) can be clearly seen in the photo. It surprised me at first though, the note that the jib luff was tensioned by the halyard, until it dawned on me that the doubled line served to increase mechanical advantage exerted downwards on the bowsprit, staying it, and not on the jib tack - clever. I now see the tackline on the boomless jib of FANCY, two chapters prior, is rove similarly.

              Writing of YARROW, in SMALL BOATS, and Nathanael Herreshoff unstayed bowsprits, and why YARROW has a short bowsprit of strongest timber specified, PCB says that "it's a fact that bobstays are the ugliest and most inconvenient fittings a boat can have." I don't quite understand this comment as the doubled tackline serving as bobstay on the designs above is still rather too visible, and requires setting up before hoisting sail...? Has anyone really claimed the reward for coming up with a reason why pretty girls shouldn't chew gum?

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18, 2012
                Photo now moved to the Keel Whaler Sloop album