Re: [bolger] Re: AS29 self-steering

  • Kent
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2012
      Thanks for the compliment, but I must admit that I know nothing about
      sewing. Maybe I should have mentioned this. I measured and cut the
      sails, and then assembled them with double-sided tape that I bought at
      Home Depot; it's intended for installing indoor-outdoor carpeting. Then
      I took the sails to a local sailmaker, whose sewing machine can easily
      punch through the plastic and tape.

      They are pretty, aren't they? -- all junk sails, that is, not just
      mine. They still make me smile every time I hoist them. They do
      require a lot of line for all the sheets and 3-part halyards; but on the
      other hand, there are no winches.

      101 Small Boat Rigs is a great book. I like lateen sails for their
      simplicity, and also for the ability to use a really short mast. Here
      in texas, all the powerboats are in slips that are covered by big metal
      roofs, to protect them from the blazing Summer sun. We sailors are out
      in the open. I'd love to have a boat that, with sails lowered, could
      fit under one of those roofs. Maybe next time ...