Bowdoin Magazine mentions & 2011 obit (was Re: Bolger obit in NYT)

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2012
      News to me. Why? The BOWDOIN MAGAZINE FALL 2009 issue obit header informs at page 89:

      "For a variety of reasons, we have a very long
      list of people for whom the College has had
      news of their deaths, but for whom a full
      obituary has not appeared. Because we feel
      passing that news on to you as soon as
      possible is important, we are including all of
      those names in this issue, while we work to
      create a better system for reporting on the
      deaths of your friends, classmates, and
      associates and for properly honoring their
      lives and connections to Bowdoin." http://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/archives/2009/pdf/BowdoinVol81No1.pdf
      PCB noted here on page 90 as: Philip C. Bolger '49 May 24, 2009

      The PCB obit occurs in the BOWDOIN MAGAZINE WINTER 2011 issue at page 92:

      "Philip Bolger '49, renowned boat
      designer and builder, died May 24,
      2009, at his home in Gloucester, Mass.
      He was born on December 3, 1927, in
      Gloucester, and prepared for college at
      Gloucester High School, Winchester
      (Mass.) High School, and Brooks School
      in North Andover, Mass. He spent one
      year at Bowdoin, followed by one year
      in the Army, then returned to Bowdoin
      to complete his degree in history. He was
      a member of Theta Delta Chi fraternity.
      He took his own life, having planned
      his suicide when he noticed his mind
      beginning to slip. A man who reveled
      in solving design problems and who had
      begun whittling boats at the age of seven,
      he left a legacy of unique and creative
      watercraft. In 1948, while serving in the
      Army in occupied Japan, he wrote an
      article for Rudder magazine marveling at
      the Japanese boats that float in just several
      inches of water. He went on to create
      nearly 700 of his own designs, ranging
      from the silly to the sublime. In the early
      1960s, he began selling the Light Dory,
      which measured 15.5 feet long and 4 feet
      wide and weighed only 124 pounds. He is
      said to have perfected the wooden kayak,
      and he designed plywood boats – dubbed
      "Bolger boxes" – that could be built in
      a matter of hours. He also designed the
      Bolger Brick, an ultra-small, squared-off
      sailing skiff made of three 4-by-8-foot
      sheets of plywood; the Bolger Pirogue, a
      tiny sailboat; and the Bolger Sneakeasy.
      His grandest vessel was the HMS Rose,
      a replica of the 18th-century HMS
      Surprise, built to his design specifications
      based on the original British Admiralty
      drawings. The 115-foot, fully rigged
      tall ship, complete with 20 guns, served
      as the stage for Russell Crowe in the
      2003 movie "Master and Commander."
      The ship now resides at the San Diego
      Maritime Museum. He was also a prolific
      writer who authored many boat-related
      magazine articles and books, including the
      2004 book, Boats With An Open Mind,
      in addition to a science fiction novel
      about apartheid in South Africa. He was
      a staunch libertarian and member of the
      National Rifle Association. In 1970, he
      ripped his diploma in half and mailed
      it back to Bowdoin in response to the
      College's tolerance for a well-publicized
      Vietnam War protest and student strike.
      He is survived by Susanne Altenburger,
      his wife and business partner of 15 years."
      http://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/archives/2011/pdf/Bowdoin-vol82_No1.pdf

      Further,

      PCB was the subject of two brief letters concerning an earlier oversight of alumni engaged in the boatbuilding industry in Maine -- see the "mailbox" of the BOWDOIN MAGAZINE FALL 2005 issue at page 2 http://www.bowdoin.edu/bowdoinmagazine/archives/pdf/Bowdoin_Fall_05.pdf

      Archived magazine issues
      http://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/archives/index.shtml