Re: Unstayed mast vs tabernacle

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
      Bill,

      I built the slot, I've found it entirely satisfactory. I had some doubts but two other builders told me how well it worked and they were dead right. Raising and lowering the mast is a one-person, no-stress job. The plans do not show how to build the slot cover but with some thought it's not a problem. I'll be happy to send some pictures or drawings of mine if you go this way, it has never leaked. Randy Wheating built a tabernacle type on-deck step, which requires stays to keep the mast up. He leaves the halyards etc. rigged when he travels, with the mast in the down position in the tabernacle. I don't recall anyone who has built a tabernacle without staying the mast, take a look at www.chebacco.com if you haven't been there.

      I allow half an hour for rigging up when I go sailing. I've done it in as little as 20 minutes but I've also taken longer. For travel I put everything in the cabin, the mast sticks out about a foot past the outboard on the transom. I`ll look for Randy`s email and forward it to you, meanwhile you can refer to the website above, he posted there during building and I`ve also got an articles there comparing three Chebaccos built by Randy, myself and Chuck Gottfried - we had them all together at a rendezvous one year.

      Jamie

    • Susanne@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
        We've done a fair share of tabernacles.
        But when as in Chebacco's case you don't need one, why add complications and thus significant building-time ?
        Phil found the urge to second-guess simple solutions with complex ones quite puzzling.
        Even the latest version 'Chebacco RD' still features the 'walk-up' mast-geometry...
        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
        I built the slot, I've found it entirely satisfactory. I had some doubts but two other builders told me how well it worked and they were dead right. Raising and lowering the mast is a one-person, no-stress job. The plans do not show how to build the slot cover but with some thought it's not a problem. I'll be happy to send some pictures or drawings of mine if you go this way, it has never leaked. Randy Wheating built a tabernacle type on-deck step, which requires stays to keep the mast up. He leaves the halyards etc. rigged when he travels, with the mast in the down position in the tabernacle. I don't recall anyone who has built a tabernacle without staying the mast, take a look at www.chebacco.com if you haven't been there.

        I allow half an hour for rigging up when I go sailing. I've done it in as little as 20 minutes but I've also taken longer. For travel I put everything in the cabin, the mast sticks out about a foot past the outboard on the transom. I`ll look for Randy`s email and forward it to you, meanwhile you can refer to the website above, he posted there during building and I`ve also got an articles there comparing three Chebaccos built by Randy, myself and Chuck Gottfried - we had them all together at a rendezvous one year.

        Jamie

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@...> wrote:

        > I've purchased plans for the 20' Chebacco. The plans offer a slotted cabin roof as a way to easily stand up the mast. It appears that many have opted to build a tabernacle instead. Has anyone built the slotted roof cabin? How time consuming is it to rig the stayed mast/tabernacle setup.
        > Thanks
        > Bill

      • Stefan Topolski
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
          One of your first Chebaccos - built in Gloucester early '80's - is in my hands now.

          The mast, though, is awful heavy and the balance too top heavy - certainly not a birdsmouth build and definitely a bear to raise every single outing.

          Stainless tabernacle works wonders - slid onto the lower mast hand-in-glove with a square metal cross section and pivoting on a half-inch bolt 2 feet above deck.

          No stays, all rigging in place, 15 minutes to rig without struggling to raise a top heavy solid mast and keep the mast foot from rising as we walk her up... and no sore back in a young buck the next day.

          If your mast isn't already too heavy this is not so necessary.

          All the Best,
          Stefan

          "One gathers peace as a feather in the palm of one's hand."    -anonymous

          Stefan Topolski  MD
          Assist. Professor, U. of Massachusetts Medical School
          Clinical Instructor, U. of New England
          Founder and Director of
          Caring in Community, Inc.  501(c)3
          1105 Mohawk Trail
          Shelburne Falls, Ma.

          Il giorno mar 6, 2012, alle ore 1:37 pm, Susanne@... ha scritto:

          We've done a fair share of tabernacles.
          But when as in Chebacco's case you don't need one, why add complications and thus significant building-time ?
          Phil found the urge to second-guess simple solutions with complex ones quite puzzling.
          Even the latest version 'Chebacco RD' still features the 'walk-up' mast-geometry...
          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
          I built the slot, I've found it entirely satisfactory. I had some doubts but two other builders told me how well it worked and they were dead right. Raising and lowering the mast is a one-person, no-stress job. The plans do not show how to build the slot cover but with some thought it's not a problem. I'll be happy to send some pictures or drawings of mine if you go this way, it has never leaked. Randy Wheating built a tabernacle type on-deck step, which requires stays to keep the mast up. He leaves the halyards etc. rigged when he travels, with the mast in the down position in the tabernacle. I don't recall anyone who has built a tabernacle without staying the mast, take a look at www.chebacco.com if you haven't been there.

          I allow half an hour for rigging up when I go sailing. I've done it in as little as 20 minutes but I've also taken longer. For travel I put everything in the cabin, the mast sticks out about a foot past the outboard on the transom. I`ll look for Randy`s email and forward it to you, meanwhile you can refer to the website above, he posted there during building and I`ve also got an articles there comparing three Chebaccos built by Randy, myself and Chuck Gottfried - we had them all together at a rendezvous one year.

          Jamie

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@...> wrote:

          > I've purchased plans for the 20' Chebacco. The plans offer a slotted cabin roof as a way to easily stand up the mast. It appears that many have opted to build a tabernacle instead. Has anyone built the slotted roof cabin? How time consuming is it to rig the stayed mast/tabernacle setup.
          > Thanks
          > Bill

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
            Susanne, I'm certainly in favor of simple, both in construction and in sailing preparations.

            Jamie, I would appreciate any pictures of the roof slot, along with any other details that you would like to make available.

            Thanks
            Bill

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne@..." <philbolger@...> wrote:

            > We've done a fair share of tabernacles.
            > But when as in Chebacco's case you don't need one, why add complications and thus significant building-time ?
            > Phil found the urge to second-guess simple solutions with complex ones quite puzzling.
            > Even the latest version 'Chebacco RD' still features the 'walk-up' mast-geometry...
            > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          • Jamie
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2012
              Bill, it'll take a few days as I'm just about to to leave town until next week but I'll attend to it as soon as I'm back.