Re: Clear Coating alternatives

  • Mason Smith
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 3, 2012

      More on clear coatings, since Penetrol’s been mentioned. I have heard that it is one of the ingredients of Deks Olje – for what that’s worth, not much. I have friends who never liked Deks Olje (and I never liked that you could not find out what was in it) and preferred other marine penetrating finishes, which indeed seem to work fine, too. I have use the one-two punch of Deks I and II. It’s been especially good on a very old and still very hard-used Rushton Florida model Pleasure Rowboat. Minimum maintenance and easy maintenance, and awfully good for the wood.

      If anybody still wants a recommendation on clear coating with epoxy, I am sure there are other great products but I did, while I used it, admire System Three’s Clear Coat, all solids but penetrating and as brushable as varnish. And I’ll second the recommendation of Captain’s Varnish for general use. Epifanes on great antique boats and showboats. Also Interlux Schooner and its variants, which we’ve been using on the brightwork of the Sound Inter Club restorations (watch for the WB article). Over epoxy, if you must, use the best filter package you can get, i.e. Flagship over Captain’s. and still, revarnish early and often or rue the day.

    • Douglas Pollard
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 3, 2012
        On 03/03/2012 11:37 AM, Mason Smith wrote:

[...]

        I have used shellac instead of epoxy for clear coating. Shellac is less porous than epoxy.  A couple of coats seals the wood well. Then a few coats of varnish over top gives it the UV protection it and epoxy require. So the wood is well protected and the Shellac is easy to remove when the time comes.  I have all the yellow pine bright work on my Elver canoe yawl fished with this process and though yellow pine is hard to keep varnish on this combination holds up well and is easy to redo.  On this pine I use orange shellac and it really brings out the beauty of the pine.  Clear is best for teak and Mahogany.        Doug
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
          I have a can of Penetrol (made by Flood) but it doesn't mention anything about it being a treatment in it's own right. The can talks about mixing it with oil based paint to make it stick to anything, or about painting it on rusty steel to make paint stick. Is this the same stuff?

          Andrew

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

          > Penitrol is good stuff. <snip>
        • mkriley48
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
            yes

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

            > I have a can of Penetrol (made by Flood) but it doesn't mention anything about it being a treatment in it's own right. The can talks about mixing it with oil based paint to make it stick to anything, or about painting it on rusty steel to make paint stick. Is this the same stuff?
            >
            > Andrew
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Penitrol is good stuff. <snip>

          • Douglas Pollard
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
              I have part of a five gallon can of it that I bought years ago.  I don't think I have ever read the label. All I know is most of us with old wooden boats have been using it as far back as I can remember. My father used it.  It's been used as a finish with sometimes varnish added ,tung oil ,linseed oil. We used to mix pine tar with it to preseve wood.  Many Work boats had their spars finished with pine tar and linseed oil mixed and others used Penetrol. I have always used it in paint. WE used to buy cheap oilbased house paint and mix Penatrol with it and it worked and held up as good as the best marine finished for little money.  I guess I use it out of habbit now.
                  I likely have enough left to last my lifetime so I guess I will continue to use it. With the hazmat laws being what they are, it may be too expensive now days?                       Doug

              On 03/05/2012 09:27 AM, mkriley48 wrote:

              yes

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

              > I have a can of Penetrol (made by Flood) but it doesn't mention anything about it being a treatment in it's own right. The can talks about mixing it with oil based paint to make it stick to anything, or about painting it on rusty steel to make paint stick. Is this the same stuff?
              >
              > Andrew
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Penitrol is good stuff. <snip>

            • Douglas Pollard
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
                They may no longer promote it for the same reasons they don't promote lead paint on houses. I think it is hazardous and of course that,s the reason it prevents rot.            Doug

                On 03/05/2012 09:27 AM, mkriley48 wrote:

                yes

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

                > I have a can of Penetrol (made by Flood) but it doesn't mention anything about it being a treatment in it's own right. The can talks about mixing it with oil based paint to make it stick to anything, or about painting it on rusty steel to make paint stick. Is this the same stuff?
                >
                > Andrew
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Penitrol is good stuff. <snip>

              • Tom Sorensen
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
                  The last time I bought Penetrol, I cant remember what the price was, but it didnt freak me out.  I use it with Miller marine spar enamel at @ 40% of the cost of interlux, and as far as i can tell Im giving up nothing in terms of finish or durability.  Buddy of mine is a professional paint contractor,, says he'd never pay the premium for "marine" paint.

                  I have part of a five gallon can of it that I bought years ago.  I don't think I have ever read the label. All I know is most of us with old wooden boats have been using it as far back as I can remember. My father used it.  It's been used as a finish with sometimes varnish added ,tung oil ,linseed oil. We used to mix pine tar with it to preseve wood.  Many Work boats had their spars finished with pine tar and linseed oil mixed and others used Penetrol. I have always used it in paint. WE used to buy cheap oilbased house paint and mix Penatrol with it and it worked and held up as good as the best marine finished for little money.  I guess I use it out of habbit now.
                      I likely have enough left to last my lifetime so I guess I will continue to use it. With the hazmat laws being what they are, it may be too expensive now days?                       Doug

                  On 03/05/2012 09:27 AM, mkriley48 wrote:

                  yes

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

                  > I have a can of Penetrol (made by Flood) but it doesn't mention anything about it being a treatment in it's own right. The can talks about mixing it with oil based paint to make it stick to anything, or about painting it on rusty steel to make paint stick. Is this the same stuff?
                  >
                  > Andrew
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Penitrol is good stuff. <snip>

                • John Kohnen
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
                    Deks Olje disappeared for a while when the parent company got bought up by
                    someone not interested in making it. <shrug> But an outfit in Florida got
                    ahold of the rights to it, and Deks Olje is again being made:

                    http://www.deksolje.com/

                    --
                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 5, 2012
                      Thanks so much. Ain't the internet wonderful!

                      John

                      Deks Olje disappeared for a while when the parent company got bought up by
                      someone not interested in making it. <shrug> But an outfit in Florida got
                      ahold of the rights to it, and Deks Olje is again being made:

                      http://www.deksolje.com/

                      On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:09:53 -0800, John T wrote:

                      > I used Deks Olje with great success about 20 years ago, but I can't seem
                      > find it now. Anyone know a source?

                      --
                      John (jkohnen@...)
                      A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
                      (William Burroughs)

                      ------------------------------------

                      Bolger rules!!!
                      - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
                      horses
                      (978) 282-1349
                      - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
                      Groups Links
                    • Ford Walton
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 6, 2012
                        Deks Olje is also available from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island, www.JamestownDistributors.com ,800-423-0030.

                        Ford Walton

                        Deks Olje disappeared for a while when the parent company got bought up by
                        someone not interested in making it. <shrug> But an outfit in Florida got
                        ahold of the rights to it, and Deks Olje is again being made:

                        http://www.deksolje.com/

                        On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:09:53 -0800, John T wrote:

                        > I used Deks Olje with great success about 20 years ago, but I can't seem
                        > find it now. Anyone know a source?

                        --
                        John (jkohnen@...)
                        A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
                        (William Burroughs)

                      • Eric
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 22 6:19 AM
                          I'll second the lack of satisfaction with Cetol. It has an ugly orange ting, even over black walnut, doesn't preserve itself or the wood against fungus, and does not hold up well. Cetol was the last thing I tried coating my toe rails and wooden cleats with. I started with Deks Ole and I may return. I am currently going through past posts looking for inspiration. At this point I am leaning toward Penetrol and Tung Oil. At least I won't have to sand it off. Thanks to all who posted their experiences.

                          Eric