Re: "Has an Advanced Sharpie the Buddha Nature?"

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
      Bill,

      construction must have stopped for a time... a few years of "life" intervening perhaps... a name change too... I think I calculated or read that Leo would be 63 last year... retiring?? The photo sets show the construction up well, a number of other PCB design ideas from other boats incorporated in the stern etc.., but did Leo leave out the flotation foam placed under the double bed? Yes, all that old box boats, et al, junk rigs stuff is fun, but still enlightening. Arne K corresponded with PCB about the rig in the 90's... theoretically, I must say a CG hybrid with panels increasingly cambered downwards from top, 6% to 8%, and strong stiff battens has merit.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "William" <kingw@...> wrote:
      > thought construction had stopped on Leo's Buddha boat. Good to see it finished and fun to read the old threads on box boats, junk rigs, et al. Anyone enamored with the notion of owning an AS29 should jump on the steal-of-a-deal offered by the proposed sale of Walkure for (*gasp*) $10,000. I spent that much building my LM from scratch. Walkure is a great bargain and I have considered the possibilities....
    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
        >Does an advanced sharpie have Buddha Nature? I have to say no, but the captain has.

        I see what you mean, but what does Leo mean to float? It's a Zen thing, I think, or maybe better with the junk rig it's Ch'an, and taken from a quote with hyperlink at the top of Leo's pages http://www.leow.de/index.html

        It too may be about the design AS "The true nature of mind is beyond conception, yet it is present in every object." (Sherab, Khenchen Palden and Dongyal, Khenpo Tsewang (2006). Opening to Our Primordial Nature. New York: Snow Lion: pp. 22 - 23) Buddha realized the meaning of the Middle Way when he sat by a river and heard a lute player in a passing boat and understood that the lute string must be tuned neither too tight nor too loose to produce a harmonious sound.

        A string overstretched breaks, the music dies,
        A string overslack is dumb and the music dies

        > May a broken string floating out upon the waters enlighten?

        It's really nice to see Leo's boat again, and afloat. It's instructional, it took some time but there it is.

        I like the physics and handling of cambered Chinese panels.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Scot Mc Pherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

        > I guess I missed the original message in this thread, but the subject line
        > begs an answer. Does an advanced sharpie have Buddha Nature? I have to say
        > no, but the captain has.
        >
        > Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
        > McPherson Family Farms
        > Le Claire, IA, USA
      • c.ruzer
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
          Yep, ok, mea culpa. Jim Melcher canted the mast a bit, chopped and added to the head panel(s), and truly did convert to junk rig.

          In "A brief history of Alert", JRA Newsletter #44, June 2005, page 31, Jim Melcher wrote:

          "..At last now based in Brunswick, Maine,I changed the rig to a junk. You'll note the yellow cloth section in the peak where we needed to gain area from the old gaff sail. My wife Diane and I did the upgrade with the hand-crank Read's sewing machine in our Brunswick back yard. For battens we used epoxy pipe recommended by Tom Colvin.

          This season we'll be refining the rig as we explore the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia..."

          I guess he got a few seasons sailing after 2006, and have to wonder how his rig refining went?