Re: Bolger 20' - Chebacco or Long Micro?

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2012
      To add to the choices, there is a raised shelter house version of
      Chebacco and an off-shore version with a pilothouse and then also the 25
      foot clinker hull if you want more space for passengers.

      Bolger wrote about the later:.. `the longer length lets her go faster in
      a good breeze or under power. She planes cleanly with a 15-h.p. motor at
      low cruising r.p.m. (BWAOM Page 229)`

      I look forward to seeing sailing photos of the one that is being built,
      and how the Solent lug main does, if indeed that is what the builder
      goes with.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Bill
      >
      > Very much my own thoughts... I singlehand a lot. However, I have found
      that on the occasions people want to tag along it's more than fit in
      Oldshoe (if you know what I mean). In protected waters 3 or 4 adults
      plus some kids is more likely. Otherwise a whole pile of kids and myself

      > For coastal sailing I tend to veer towards Long Micro. I remember
      reading somewhere about fitting a drop keel to improve windward ability.
      Does anyone have real first hand experience?

      > Very much appreciate all the feedback/thoughts.
      >

      > David
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "William" kingw@ wrote:
      > >
      > > David,
      > > I built and have sailed my LM for 4+ years now. I sailed her on Lake
      Erie, a small lake in Texas, and on two-week long adventures on Lake
      Huron (in 2010 and 2011). Like you, I seriously considered a Chebacco
      but in the end opted for the "ugly and disposable" (*cough*) LM. I like
      the stability of the flat bottom, plumb sides, and the big chunk of lead
      in the keel. Chebacco seemed more tender with less interior space but I
      have never sailed on one. Chebaccos are beautiful and I'd bet on one to
      windward and in light airs over the LM. I mean no disrespect to my
      Chebacco brothers and sisters.
      > > 1. no comment
      > > 2. LM's don't point great but I find mine sufficient. Off the wind
      they fly along. Speeds of 6+ knots are regular and I have hit 8.2 knots
      downwind (once. But once is enough to mention it).
      > > 3. If you build to the plans with the large, open under-cockpit
      space, you will have ample space to sleep two. You might fit another
      person under the cockpit, but it would be cramped. The cockpit seat will
      fit two 6'6" long people sleeping side-by-side.
      > > 4. Six people on an LM? That's pushing things. I have had four
      people sailing on my LM, and we could all sit side-by-side on one side
      of the cockpit. Six would be crowded; doable but not optimal.
      > > 5. I singlehand all the time. No issues. Reef, furl, anchor, motor,
      dock, maneuver. The mizzen is a very helpful.

      > > Bill, in Texas
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I know this may spark some controversy, but I hope it is of the
      constructive kind.

      > > > Having built Oldshoe, Reubens Nymph and Zephyr, I am now looking
      at building something larger (but not as large as Loose Moose II, for
      which I already have plans) fit for trailering, sleeping on board for
      short cruises, possible coastal capabilities (bearing in mind that I am
      talking about the Chilean coast) and generally fun and safe...

      > > > I have, as many of us, studied all the Bolger books I possess:
      > > >
      > > > - Boats with an Open Mind
      > > > - Bolger Boats (Small Boats and The Floating Schooner)
      > > > - 30 Odd boats
      > > > - 103 Rigs
      > > >
      > > > as well as all the Payson books, and LF Herreshoff and H Chapelle
      and Pete Culler, Michalak, Atkin,... (as my wife would not hesitate to
      add).
      > > > and have looked at the designs by various people offered by
      different people on the internet.

      > > > With study plans to a few hundred boats and many hours of
      dreaming, you may ask why I limit the choice to these two boats:

      > > > 1) I want a 20' boat (give or take) because it is still
      trailerable but well out of dinghy size (less sensitive to trim).
      > > > 2) Speed is good enough to actually get somewhere
      > > > 3) Good sleeping space for 2 and possible sleeping space for 1 or
      2 more if push comes to shove (and they are smallish).
      > > > 4) Daysailing capacity for 6 or so in protected waters (reasonable
      conditions)
      > > > 5) Possible to singlehand decently
      > > > 6) I like Bolger's boats, including the thought process and know
      for a fact that his construction guidelines work. These are two of his
      most tested models in the size range. [Runners up would be the Black
      Skimmer (too heavy and large to trailer easily), Micro (slightly too
      short on WL), Bolgers simplified Rozinante (too heavy and no motor),
      Herreshoffs Rozinante (too complicated for me at this stage and no motor
      and too heavy), Martha Jane (there's a lot of talk about stability
      issues and not too sure about leeboards, otherwise a very good
      candidate)]