New June Bug

  • Dave Gentry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2012
      I've just posted a couple of pics of a June Bug I just completed - in the "A June Bug" album.
      I bought the plans from the later Mr. Payson's site - and yes, if there were any doubts, they are still in business, and my order was filled promptly.

      I did modify the boat a bit . . . giving her foam floatation, a kick-up rudder, a Michalak style kick-up leeboard and, most notably, we opted for a traditional boomless spritsail, too, rather than the leg-o-mutton spritsail that Mr. Bolger spec'd for many of his "instant boats."

      This more or less rectangular sail, being lower, has less heeling moment, the spars fit inside the boat, and there's no boom to worry about. Downwind it won't be particularly efficient, but one can always add a boom later if that becomes an issue.

      The boat will be sailed in the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay.

      Questions and comments welcomed, of course!

      Dave Gentry
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
        Wow! Very nice job on a boat that I always thought was too ugly to build, but you have made me re-think my first reactions! i think the orca-inspired(?) paint job goes a long way to softening the harsh lines of the hull. Hope you post some action shots underway soon! Nice work!
        Doug Griggs
        Maryland
      • Bob Throne
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
          Dave -

          That looks great ! I hope you will bring it to the Eastern Messabout .. June 1-2-3 @ Elk Neck State Park again. The announcement is about to hit Duckworks Letters and Calendar.

          Bob Throne

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2012
            Thanks, ya'll. The paint job was both my way of doing something different, and - yes - also to distract the eye a bit. It's actually a dark blue, rather than black, though the pics don't show that.

            To answer a question in the comments section, yes, there are mast partners. They are removable, so that one can still row from the forward thwart (to balance a passenger). Basically, the mast partners are lashed into place on top of the fwd oarlocks.

            The design is well thought out, even though the plans only consist of two sheets of drawings. My only issue is that Mr Bolger called for 6' oars (and I made a pair to go along with her), but stowing them under the seats is not happening without some further modifications. That's pretty minor, though.

            The boat is in a garage in MD until Spring rolls around, so no pics of her rigged up and sailing will be available until then. But, one will definitely be able to see her in person at the WOOD regatta, held in Rock Hall, MD in mid-May. http://www.woodenboat.com/woodregatta.php
            I think they are moving towards having a wooden boat show there, as well, so attend if you can!

            Dave Gentry

            www.GentryCustomBoats.com
          • MylesJ. Swift
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2012

              Dave,

              I’ve had a June Bug with 6 foot oars for going on 13 years. You may want to try using short square strokes, stroke about half as long and twice as hard. The 6 footers are the longest that work without going crosshand. I have 5.5 footers for the front position used by my wife who is 5’4”

              Myles J. Swift

            • gary
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
                Dave:
                Nice job; I like the modifications. Please let us know how it sails when you get the chance!

                Gary