Pram Bow treatment

  • Joe T
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
      This photo in Bolger 2 shows Charles Hodges' boat with the pram bow painted white:
      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2734417/sn/1919356387/name/100_1494.jpg

      Here is a similar bow on my Oldshoe:
      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1194369/sn/1934734861/name/n_a

      I find my treatment of the pram bow more pleasing with two colors that tie in with the side paint.

      Comments would be appreciated.

      Joe T
    • gravelyrider
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
        Joe, I think what you are calling the 'pram bow' is actually the stern. Look at the pic before in the album Adagio . Compare the windows in relationship to the bow and stern and you will see what I mean.

        But I agree, a pram bow does look better with your paint scheme.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe T" <scsbmsjoe@...> wrote:

        > This photo in Bolger 2 shows Charles Hodges' boat with the pram bow painted white:
        > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2734417/sn/1919356387/name/100_1494.jpg
        >
        > Here is a similar bow on my Oldshoe:
        > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1194369/sn/1934734861/name/n_a
        >
        > I find my treatment of the pram bow more pleasing with two colors that tie in with the side paint.
        >
        > Comments would be appreciated.
        >
        > Joe T

      • Joe T
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2012
          You are right. A more careful look at Adagio on its trailer shows a plumb pointy bow. Still it might give folks with flat bows something to think about. That was my reason for the post. Dennis Lancaster used the idea on his Oldshoe as well. Thanks for your correction and comment .

          Joe T

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <denandel01@...> wrote:

          > Joe, I think what you are calling the 'pram bow' is actually the stern. Look at the pic before in the album Adagio . Compare the windows in relationship to the bow and stern and you will see what I mean.
          >
          > But I agree, a pram bow does look better with your paint scheme.
          >

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe T" <scsbmsjoe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This photo in Bolger 2 shows Charles Hodges' boat with the pram bow painted white:
          > > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2734417/sn/1919356387/name/100_1494.jpg
          > >
          > > Here is a similar bow on my Oldshoe:
          > > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1194369/sn/1934734861/name/n_a
          > >
          > > I find my treatment of the pram bow more pleasing with two colors that tie in with the side paint.
          > >
          > > Comments would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Joe T

        • Frank Raisin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
            Hi Paul,

            Being exhaultedly qualified. You probably knew all this ... But I thought it interesting anyway

            http://onemetre.net/OtherTopics/Philos/Rulephil.htm

            Rgds,

            Frank

            Looks like its a young world at the centre of things after all!

            > Bolger rules!!!

          • John and Kathy Trussell
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012

              I’ve always liked PCB’s rules for the Gloucester Schooner [Folding Schooner] Class as published in The Folding Schooner.  I particularly like # 5 “Boats protested for inadequate structural strength shall be tested by one kick from the bare toes of the protester at a point of his own choosing, any resulting damage to be the penalty of the protestee for the excessive lightness.”

              I have never been a fan of rules or litigious sailors who seek to exploit any perceived advantage which the rules may give them. But then I no longer race and so I can’t (or shouldn’t) really criticize.

              JohnT