Re: Details on available Chebacco plans

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
      Jamie,

      Do you carry any personal protection against wild animals or pirates?

      (Other than the bagpipes:)

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <jas_orr@...> wrote:

      > Hi Doug,
      >
      > Glad you like the articles all - at the risk of blowing my own horn,
      here's one you may not have seen,
      http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Boats/Boatjamie/jamiestory.htm it's on a
      not-very-active site. Maybe if you wash up here on the west coast you
      can join us for a rendezvous or two. Where do you live?

    • Scot McPherson
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
        Hold on...I insist on bagpipes always being considered, maybe even mandatory.

        Scot McPherson
        McPherson Family Farms
        Le Claire, IA USA
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 15, 2011, at 5:25 PM, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

        Jamie,

        Do you carry any personal protection against wild animals or pirates?

        (Other than the bagpipes:)

        Nels

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <jas_orr@...> wrote:

        > Hi Doug,
        >
        > Glad you like the articles all - at the risk of blowing my own horn,
        here's one you may not have seen,
        http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Boats/Boatjamie/jamiestory.htm it's on a
        not-very-active site. Maybe if you wash up here on the west coast you
        can join us for a rendezvous or two. Where do you live?

      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
          Only my charming personality.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
            It occurred to me that I might be giving bad advice below. I finished by implying that a combination of layers under good rain gear is better than a Mustang cruiser suit. I should add two things, first that I also wear my pdf (vest style) under the rain jacket, and second, that if I ever find myself in the water, I hope I'm wearing the Mustang. These suits are not survival suits but they will extend survival time significantly as well as provide flotation.

            I guess the trick is knowing ahead of time when when it's going to blow up and get scary, but then I'd stay by the fire anyway.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <jas_orr@...> wrote:

            > What to wear is an individual choice, I have a couple of Mustang cruiser suits on board, but some years ago I bought a good (Gil) breathable jacket and liked it so much in the January wind and rain that I went back and bought the matching pants. However, any rainsuit will eventually get condensation and drips inside, so quick-drying is good, regardless of type. Underneath I usually wear my normal clothes and maybe a sweater, unless I'm expecting to be really cold then I put on a set of fleece underwear plus another layer or two. Gloves, warm boots and hat/hood complete the picture. I don't like hoods because they restrict my vision but the hood on my rain jacket keeps the warmth inside so I put up with it. I'm rambling on a bit here, but one more thing - I've crossed the strait of Juan de Fuca twice (motoring, I have to admit) at night, in September. The first time I wore a Mustang suit and the second time I wore fleece and the rain suit and found that was warmer (both times I had another layer as well).
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 16, 2011
              Doug,

              The #602 25' Lapstrake Chebacco is a separate plan set to the #540/#575/#540RD plan set. Susanne gave me a discount on buying the lot. As far as I know only one other person has attempted a #602 build and there were substantial deviations from the design, so my #602 is probably the first one to be built to the plans.

              I used the method outlined in Oughtred's book on Clinker boatbuilding to line off the planks. Bolger didn't provide details of where the plank edges were to land. But, it didn't turn out to be as simple as a pencil and paper exercise. I kept shifting the plank edges back and forth till it looked right and even then I changed my mind a few times as I approached the sheer. Some of the frames got planed down and others got built up. The bow has ended up fuller (fatter) by about 2" because that is where the planks wanted to go.

              You ask about the twist in the garboard - yes it is difficult but nothing that clamps and screws and patience couldn't fix. I used 5/8" planking material instead of the 1/2" specified so I made it harder for myself.

              You also ask about glassing the lapstrake hull. Basically this is impossible for the whole hull without loosing the plank definition lines. I have glassed the keel, bottom and garboard plank only and have noticed how much extra fairing work I have created for myself by doing so. I would guess that I have added a week, 40 hours, of extra work for myself in filling and sanding. The bottom edge of the second plank is not as clean and neat as the other plank edges due to the uneven thickness of the fibreglass. It may prove to be worth while if I hit a rock sometime in the sailing future, but at this particular point in time (still preparing for paint) I think glass was a mistake.

              Have you seen Ben Ho's "Three Rivers" site (I have found a bit of inspiration there): http://benho2.tripod.com/boatbuilding/boatbuilding.htm

              I'll put up a current construction photo on my mate's site later today: sites.google.com/site/warrandytewoodenboat/

              Andrew

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Sisuuk" <sisuuk@...> wrote:

              > Hey Again!
              > Thanks so much for the responses from everyone! I feel like I know both Jamie and Andrew as I have been looking at the photos of your exploits and reading about your projects and messabouts for sooo long now!
              > I really like the lines of Chebacco as originally designed.... and as I want to try something new, I would really like to give the lapstrake version a shot (I love the looks of my bobcat but two boats with similar ply construction would be too much for my lady!). I guess I would really like to see side photos of an RD version to see how her lines look in comparison to the original. Thanks for the insights on sleeping room, Jamie. It sounds like my wife and I would fit OK... do you sleep on the floor or is there room for floorboards with storage under? My thought is my wife won't be too thrilled to move gear out of cabin if she is freezing. I will do the boom tent to be sure.
              > As to the mast raising, it does seem a little tough on the bobcat (apx 13' long) but the biggest problem is with all the lines. I am still trying various methods to keep them untangled for quicker launching of the boat. A tabernacle would seem to solve this on a Chebacco and make a boom tent all the more easy. It sounds like your mast is also in the original position and not scooted forward a few inches... is that so Jamie?
              > Food for thought for the cockpit sole....8 to 9" seems like a lot.
              > Also any recommendations on very good (warm) gear for a wet Pacific Northwest?
              > Andrew, did your plans include patterns for the lapstrake or details on the molds to assist? Or did you use traditional methods and calculate your own measurements? And that garboard twist.... pretty tough or not so bad in lapstrake?
              > I like what you had included in your plans Andrew. That would seem to cover it for me. I think the 25' plans are separate. Have you had a chance to sail/spend time in a 25' Chebacco? Just wondering on the pros and cons....
              > I am not so sure on the alternative building method. It looks a bit unsteady and I can't tell you how many times I have fallen on my boats when building! Of course this is a monster and not a little 10 footer! Maybe harder to roll over too. I like to paint the critter upside down. I'll have to re-read the details over again 'cause it would save time it seems.
              > Good luck Bill! I think I just need to buy the plans that cover both.... and the 25' lapstrake and make some models also... very tough to think it all thru when the versions I am considering are so similar yet significant differences could arise.
              > One more question - does anyone glass the outside of the lapstrake? I know the bottom is glassed by some.... but what about the rest of the lapstrakes?
              >
              > I love the Chebacco website!
              > Doug

            • cmarshall200
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 23, 2011
                I've owned a first version, which was the original cold molded one. It didn't have a slot for raising the mast. Instead if the mast collar was loosened, the hole through the partners was much bigger than needed. That gave just enough room to lean the mast back a few degrees when lifting and raising the mast. That was all that was needed for one person to get the mast down or up.
                As far as I know the plans for this version were never available.
                Charles