Re: off-shore boat? > Seabird 86

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
      Roger,

      He has stated that on several occasions and gives several reasons. One
      being that he has no off-shore experience himself (He's from an Illinois
      prairie town). It depends on the skipper as much as the design and "If
      you have to ask if a design is off-shore capable, the answer is no."
      Some have made off-shore passages. (Cormorant toured the Bahamas comes
      to mind.

      A quote from the Picara description makes it clear as well I suggest.

      "So Picara is in a lot of ways a Fatcat2 that has gone through the above
      changes to make it self righting, that is to say if knocked over it will
      right itself when the wind force is eased, with the crew staying on the
      deck, shedding water like a duck and being ready to go again once the
      crew feels up to it. (Even here the idea of "self righting" means
      different things to different sailors. Howard Chapelle wrote somewhere
      that a sharpie is selfrighting if it can return from 45 degrees of heel.
      I'm quite certain that is not enough for most of us. Blue water sailors
      try to self right from 140 degrees of heel. No, the wind won't blow you
      over that far but a big wave can roll you that far. On my ballasted
      boats, like Picara, I try to get the boat to self right from 90 degrees,
      a compromise I suppose, but I don't design blue water boats.)"

      I guess his limits are the ability to self-right from only 90 degrees
      makes a hull less than off-shore capable?

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Padvorac" <roger@...> wrote:

      > Nels,
      > That is a very interesting comment about Jim Michalak. I didn't
      realize that is a major factor in his choices of boat designs that he
      works on.

      > How does Jim define an off-shore boat?
      >
      > If he hasn't explicitly described this, from observing the kinds of
      boats he designs and how they handle in rough water, what are your
      observations about the limits of seaworthiness that he works within?

      > Sincerely,
      > Roger

      Picara might be close.