Re: How many light schooners

  • jalo@istar.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
      My apology for neglecting the subject line in the event that people
      didn't know that I was speaking of light schooners.

      There were three that regularly raced at the Mahone Bay Wooden Boat
      Festival in Nova Scotia and another one that was rather permanently
      beached. As far as I know the races are still happening each summer as
      part of the now named Classic Boat Festival. Given the relatively
      small population of Nova Scotia, even if it is a maritime province, my
      estimate would go with the larger numbers suggested.

      Jack E. Bearben (aka jeb)
    • Joe T
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
        I know of two in southern California owned by brothers Mark and Paul Klopfenstien. This was a few years back so the boats may have moved on.

        Joe T

        > >>. WAG maybe 15-20.
        >
        > Because the Light Schooner is featured by Dynamite Payson, and plans
        > are sold at www.instantboats.com for pretty cheap I would wager that
        > more like several dozen have been built.

      • BillM
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
          I've wondered about that before and after I built mine about 10 years ago. I've contacted all the people that built one and posted on the Instant Boat website message board. I would be great to find someone closer than Mahone Bay to race. I'm always working on something on mine and it will be the floor boards and other upgrades this winter.
          There are pictures of mine in the Bolger Photos and on the Instant Boat website message board.

          I also have red sails, like the "Ruby Slipper" that the Klopfenstien's used to have posted on the Instant Boats Site.