Re: Doubling a Micro Bottom

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 18, 2011
      I built my micro with a 1/2" bottom and had no trouble bending the 16' scarfed panel to fit the curve. I decided to make the cabin top 1/2" as well cuz I'm a big heavy guy and don't want to worry about where to step when I climb up there to wrestle with the mast. When I saw it would be impossible to get 1/2" ply to take that smaller radius curve, I laid it up in 2 layers of 1/4" marine plywood. I glued and screwed the first layer to the frame, and after it set up I laid the second layer on top over a generous slathering of thickened epoxy. I trimmed, sanded, and glassed it, and it's rock solid.

      I had the advantage of working on the horizontal so the goop stayed where I spread it and I could use weight to hold the top layer down while it set up. Since your boat is finished and flipping it would be a big headache, you'll probably have to figure out how to do all this upside-down. Maybe work out a way to vacuum-bag it?

      Paul L. on Cape Cod