Re: [bolger] Re: Which boat next?

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 8, 2011
      Oops! wrong photo of Jeff Stobbe's Bamaling, Loon. Here's the one showing
      the galley:

      http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2003/Loon-1.jpg

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 8, 2011
        bruce,

        if you read my first line I want to expand all dimensions in proportion stopping when the headroom reached 6 feet,
        nowhere did I say that I wanted to keep the 20' loa.
        As to the headroom requirement,having lived in a sailboat 4" shy of full headroom for 6 years fulltime caused back problems.
        "headroom is deemed unnecessary by  those that have it"
        mike

        On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 7:25 AM, m riley <mkriley48@yahoo. com> wrote:

        > bruce,
        > can you just change the dimension of the inside headroom to give 6 feet and have all the others change as well?
        > this design would look good as a full size liveaboard along the lines of a thames barge.
        > mike

        Well, you change the headroom to 6 feet, but it then would be a much
        different boat, with perhaps unforeseen repercussions. (For instance,
        with the higher cabin, could you still have vision lines looking
        forward from the cockpit while sailing?)

        If you need a 'full size liveaboard' 6ft headrom in a 20 foot overall
        length, that gets into the 'pushing the envelope' realm. Not that it
        isn't inconceivable. The PB&F designs 'Col. HG Hassler', and
        Superbrick both do this already. And, believe it or not, the 15'4"
        Micro Navigator has about two square feet of standing space tall
        enough that my 6ft-0in body can stand up straight enough to pull up my
        pants with the cabin hatch closed.

        Another way to achieve this standing headroom desire is to use a
        tent/awning above the slot top cabin. I don't see any problem with
        rigging a simple tarp strung on a rope stretched between the main mast
        and mizzen mast of this Chebacco RD to give full length walking
        headroom from stem to stern with this design as is.

        And, plenty of 'old salts' have argued persuasively that standing
        headroom in a boat is much over rated. In all honesty, +99% of the
        time while a boat is being used you are voluntarily by choice either
        seated or lying down. For the other 1% of the time, the cost of the
        necessary compromises is questionable value.