Re: Aluminum Diablo?

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 144 KB
    From the old CSD catalog. See that Bernie also promotes a plywood
    version.
  • russelldawkins
    Message 2 of 14 , Oct 8, 2011

      > From the old CSD catalog. See that Bernie also promotes a plywood
      > version.
      >

      > On Oct 4, 2011, at 3:46 PM, dnjost wrote:
      >

      > > I think this is totally possible, but a pretty expensive way to go.
      > > Epoxy resin has far less fumes, and the glass is safe to work with
      > > if you take the necessary precautions: Gloves, face mask, safety
      > > glasses, READ THE MSDS ON THE CANS.
      > >
      > > You would have the homemade equivalent of a Grumman or Lund. I
      > > loved my Diablo, but my 18' Work Skiff is way more solid underfoot
      > > for fishing and clamming.
      > >
      > > David Jost

      Thanks for all the responses. I think we will go with the designer-intended plywood and epoxy, if only to save weight. Any weight savings would be appreciated in use, I imagine.
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2011
        Before digging out your credit cards, note at Instantboats.com it's still listed as $16 + 5 shipping.
      • Christopher C. Wetherill
        Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2011
          Same at WoodenBoat.

          On 10/8/2011 10:32 PM, Mark Albanese wrote:
          Before digging out your credit cards, note at Instantboats.com it's still listed as $16 + 5 shipping.
          __._,_
        • John Kohnen
          Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2011
            Reminds me of my $1,000 book. I never tire of telling the story, and
            welcome any excuse to trot it out. <g> A while ago the eagerly awaited
            "The Encyclopedia of Yacht Designers" by Lucia Del Sol Knight and Daniel
            Bruce MacNaughton was finally printed. Unfortunately, they decided to go
            for high-end production quality, and a price that ensured that it'd sell
            mainly to institutions -- $250. :o( I've never paid $250 for a book. A few
            years had passed, so I went looking on ABE for a used copy. There at the
            end of a list of used ones starting at about $180 was a "New. Flawless
            copy, brand new, pristine, never opened" copy for 981.08 plus $1.99
            shipping!! A day or two later I was on Amazon.com and looked for the book
            just for the heck of it. They had some "New. Flawless copy, brand new,
            pristine, never opened" ones for $163.84 with FREE Super Saver Shipping! I
            snatched one up. For a while after I got it I was afraid to open the
            shrink wrap and destroy the value of my "$1,000 book". ;o)

            http://preview.tinyurl.com/43shs24

            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet