Re: [bolger] Which boat next?

  • John Huft
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
      I'd look at some of Paul Fisher's designs.  You can view them at Duckworks http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/sf/index.htm or Paul Fisher's site http://www.selway-fisher.com/

      Here's the link to the 16-20 ft trailer sailors http://www.selway-fisher.com/PC1620.htm

      Take a look at his Galway 18.  Just might be what you're looking for.
      John Boy

      You can trust me, I have a degree in science...

    • Christopher C. Wetherill
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
        In keeping with the fundamental theme of this group, i.e. Bolger, I would look at Seabird '86.  There is even a recent variant with junk rig.

        V/R
        Chris

        On 10/4/2011 7:46 PM, Rod wrote:
        I am nearly finished my Bolger Micro and and considering starting another project. I would like something with a bigger cabin but smaller cockpit. Nothing too big, about 20 foot or so. still capable of being towed on a single axle trailer. I like the look of the Chebacco but the cabin is too small. Something capable of coastal cruising and able to get back should things turn sour. Maybe a junk rigged boat. Any ideas?
      • Connor, Patrick
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 5, 2011
          Long micro?
          --------------------------

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 5, 2011
            Will you share pictures ? What will you do with this beauty ?

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2011
              Rex,  Only dreaming at the moment, getting some ideas.

              Rod

            • Susanne@comcast.net

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                  Chebacco "RD"???

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                    'Raised Deck' for two feet longer cuddy, full-width headroom, reasonable cruising galley, etc.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                    On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Susanne@...
                    <philbolger@...> wrote:

                    > 'Raised Deck' for two feet longer cuddy, full-width headroom, reasonable cruising galley, etc.

                    I was just refreshing my awareness of design 540RD, Chebacco Raised
                    Deck, and it is another PB&F gem. The writeup is in MAIB Vol.22
                    No.17. Essentially a cruising upgrade to the older Chebacco design.
                    Lots of thoughtful detailing, some highlights: 1) Slot top, (with hard
                    hatches) making the process of stepping the mast more sure. 2) More
                    headroom in the cabin (raised deck), with well thought out port-lites.
                    3) Ballasted centerboard, 100lbs of steel sandwiched in plywood. 4)
                    Mainmast moved forward to improve the helm balance problems of the
                    earlier Chebacco's 5) Serious built-in
                    tankage/storage/icebox/batteries-PVpanel(s)/ & toilet appropriate for
                    a cruiser.

                    As I typically do when contemplating boats, I was doodling the shape
                    in 3D. Here is a screengrab of the incomplete doodle.

                    http://hallman.org/bolger/iso540RD.jpg

                    One question of Susanne, (if she has the time and inclination to
                    answer): I see what looks curiously like a cutout for a propeller in
                    the fin keel. Could that be?
                  • Chester Young
                    Message 10 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011

                      Are the oval port-lites a standard chandlery item?  EstherMae has two on each side of her cabin and they could stand replacement.  My wife insists on keeping the ovals as it certainly lends a lot of character.  Unfortunately any production ovals I have seen do not have the same style.  The current port-lites on EstherMae are wood, (picture frames perhaps?) the screens and glass that goes in them are flat pieces that slide behind the port-line from the inside with pieces of pie shaped wood to hold then against the interior cabin side.  Very seldom do I bother to put in the glass and even at that it almost never rains inside enough to matter, and that is here in south west Florida where we get our share of down-pours.

                      Bruce, as always I enjoy your rendering of any boat power, sail, or row.  Have you had one run through a 3-d plotter?

                      ~Caloosarat

                      [Attachment(s) from BruceHallman included below]

                      <philbolger@...> wrote:

                      > 'Raised Deck' for two feet longer cuddy, full-width headroom, reasonable cruising galley, etc.

                      I was just refreshing my awareness of design 540RD, Chebacco Raised
                      Deck, and it is another PB&F gem. The writeup is in MAIB Vol.22
                      No.17. Essentially a cruising upgrade to the older Chebacco design.
                      Lots of thoughtful detailing, some highlights: 1) Slot top, (with hard
                      hatches) making the process of stepping the mast more sure. 2) More
                      headroom in the cabin (raised deck), with well thought out port-lites.
                      3) Ballasted centerboard, 100lbs of steel sandwiched in plywood. 4)
                      Mainmast moved forward to improve the helm balance problems of the
                      earlier Chebacco's 5) Serious built-in
                      tankage/storage/icebox/batteries-PVpanel(s)/ & toilet appropriate for
                      a cruiser.

                      As I typically do when contemplating boats, I was doodling the shape
                      in 3D. Here is a screengrab of the incomplete doodle.

                      http://hallman.org/bolger/iso540RD.jpg

                      One question of Susanne, (if she has the time and inclination to
                      answer): I see what looks curiously like a cutout for a propeller in
                      the fin keel. Could that be?

                    • Andrew
                      Message 11 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                        Bruce,

                        The Chebacco RD has some other well thought out features that are not immediately apparent.

                        The cut-out in the keel you noticed is not for a propeller, it is designed to allow the use of a balanced rudder at the end of a full keel. When you turn the balanced rudder the leading edge sticks out into the water flow creating an angled slot between the end of the keel and the rudder blade. Presumably, if this slot is too small, water won't be able to get to the high pressure side of the rudder blade and stalling will result. Phil and Sussanne's clever idea was to incorporate a 6" cut-out in the keel ahead of the rudder to alleviate this problem. Balanced rudders are normally only seen as spade rudders on fin keel boats - the RD extends the balanced rudder benefits to a full keel boat hull. Brilliant! I am using this idea on my Chebacco 25 build.

                        sites.google.com/site/warrandytewoodenboat/Warrandyte-Wooden-Boats/file-cabinet/foil-section-rudder

                        The other feature I really like in the Chebacco RD is the construction method. The boat is built around a keel/CB trunk/stem/horn spine. You literally hang the frames off the spine which is propped up vertically with a couple of sticks. The traditional ladder frame is eliminated. A pity I couldn't adapt this building method to my build.

                        Regards,

                        Andrew

                        > I was just refreshing my awareness of design 540RD, Chebacco Raised
                        > Deck, and it is another PB&F gem. The writeup is in MAIB Vol.22
                        > No.17. Essentially a cruising upgrade to the older Chebacco design.
                        > Lots of thoughtful detailing, some highlights: 1) Slot top, (with hard
                        > hatches) making the process of stepping the mast more sure. 2) More
                        > headroom in the cabin (raised deck), with well thought out port-lites.
                        > 3) Ballasted centerboard, 100lbs of steel sandwiched in plywood. 4)
                        > Mainmast moved forward to improve the helm balance problems of the
                        > earlier Chebacco's 5) Serious built-in
                        > tankage/storage/icebox/batteries-PVpanel(s)/ & toilet appropriate for
                        > a cruiser.
                        >
                        > As I typically do when contemplating boats, I was doodling the shape
                        > in 3D. Here is a screengrab of the incomplete doodle.
                        >
                        > http://hallman.org/bolger/iso540RD.jpg
                        >
                        > One question of Susanne, (if she has the time and inclination to
                        > answer): I see what looks curiously like a cutout for a propeller in
                        > the fin keel. Could that be?

                      • BruceHallman
                        Message 12 of 22 , Oct 6, 2011
                          On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Andrew <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

                          > Phil and Sussanne's clever idea was to incorporate a 6" cut-out in the keel ahead of the rudder to alleviate this problem.

                          Wow.
                        • m riley
                          Message 13 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                            bruce,
                            can you just change the dimension of the inside headroom to give 6 feet and have all the others change as well?
                            this design would look good as a full size liveaboard along the lines of a thames barge.
                            mike
                          • BruceHallman
                            Message 14 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                              On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 7:25 AM, m riley <mkriley48@...> wrote:

                              > bruce,
                              > can you just change the dimension of the inside headroom to give 6 feet and have all the others change as well?
                              > this design would look good as a full size liveaboard along the lines of a thames barge.
                              > mike

                              Well, you change the headroom to 6 feet, but it then would be a much
                              different boat, with perhaps unforeseen repercussions. (For instance,
                              with the higher cabin, could you still have vision lines looking
                              forward from the cockpit while sailing?)

                              If you need a 'full size liveaboard' 6ft headrom in a 20 foot overall
                              length, that gets into the 'pushing the envelope' realm. Not that it
                              isn't inconceivable. The PB&F designs 'Col. HG Hassler', and
                              Superbrick both do this already. And, believe it or not, the 15'4"
                              Micro Navigator has about two square feet of standing space tall
                              enough that my 6ft-0in body can stand up straight enough to pull up my
                              pants with the cabin hatch closed.

                              Another way to achieve this standing headroom desire is to use a
                              tent/awning above the slot top cabin. I don't see any problem with
                              rigging a simple tarp strung on a rope stretched between the main mast
                              and mizzen mast of this Chebacco RD to give full length walking
                              headroom from stem to stern with this design as is.

                              And, plenty of 'old salts' have argued persuasively that standing
                              headroom in a boat is much over rated. In all honesty, +99% of the
                              time while a boat is being used you are voluntarily by choice either
                              seated or lying down. For the other 1% of the time, the cost of the
                              necessary compromises is questionable value.
                            • etap28
                              Message 15 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                                Hey, congrats on the RD build, I'm excited! I've been interested in this one for while. Keep up the good documentation on the website, it's much appreciated!
                                Dave

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

                                > Bruce,
                                >
                                > The Chebacco RD has some other well thought out features that are not immediately apparent.
                                >
                                > The cut-out in the keel you noticed is not for a propeller, it is designed to allow the use of a balanced rudder at the end of a full keel. When you turn the balanced rudder the leading edge sticks out into the water flow creating an angled slot between the end of the keel and the rudder blade. Presumably, if this slot is too small, water won't be able to get to the high pressure side of the rudder blade and stalling will result. Phil and Sussanne's clever idea was to incorporate a 6" cut-out in the keel ahead of the rudder to alleviate this problem. Balanced rudders are normally only seen as spade rudders on fin keel boats - the RD extends the balanced rudder benefits to a full keel boat hull. Brilliant! I am using this idea on my Chebacco 25 build.
                                >
                                > sites.google.com/site/warrandytewoodenboat/Warrandyte-Wooden-Boats/file-cabinet/foil-section-rudder
                                >
                                > The other feature I really like in the Chebacco RD is the construction method. The boat is built around a keel/CB trunk/stem/horn spine. You literally hang the frames off the spine which is propped up vertically with a couple of sticks. The traditional ladder frame is eliminated. A pity I couldn't adapt this building method to my build.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Andrew
                                >

                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman <hallman@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > I was just refreshing my awareness of design 540RD, Chebacco Raised
                                > > Deck, and it is another PB&F gem. The writeup is in MAIB Vol.22
                                > > No.17. Essentially a cruising upgrade to the older Chebacco design.
                                > > Lots of thoughtful detailing, some highlights: 1) Slot top, (with hard
                                > > hatches) making the process of stepping the mast more sure. 2) More
                                > > headroom in the cabin (raised deck), with well thought out port-lites.
                                > > 3) Ballasted centerboard, 100lbs of steel sandwiched in plywood. 4)
                                > > Mainmast moved forward to improve the helm balance problems of the
                                > > earlier Chebacco's 5) Serious built-in
                                > > tankage/storage/icebox/batteries-PVpanel(s)/ & toilet appropriate for
                                > > a cruiser.
                                > >
                                > > As I typically do when contemplating boats, I was doodling the shape
                                > > in 3D. Here is a screengrab of the incomplete doodle.
                                > >
                                > > http://hallman.org/bolger/iso540RD.jpg
                                > >
                                > > One question of Susanne, (if she has the time and inclination to
                                > > answer): I see what looks curiously like a cutout for a propeller in
                                > > the fin keel. Could that be?

                              • Harry James
                                Message 16 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                                  I do like to stand in the galley, the rest doesn't matter. For some
                                  reason headroom is a really big deal to a lot of people. I typically
                                  spend several weeks at a time on my Triton in the summer and the only
                                  time I am standing up and walking around is going forward on deck or
                                  after rowing ashore. The time spent moving around in the boat with my
                                  head bent is so small that it is statistically insignificant. If the
                                  boat is rigged so you can sit comfortably at the stove galley area and
                                  reach every thing then the standing head room in the galley becomes less
                                  important.

                                  HJ

                                  Message 17 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                                    On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

                                    > I do like to stand in the galley, the rest doesn't matter....if
                                    > boat is rigged so you can sit comfortably at the stove galley area

                                    Agreed and well said. Though the way PB&F have ChebaccoRD designed,
                                    the galley is located outside in the cockpit. The boat is only a 20
                                    ft. They do have a built-in "don't look down" head inside the cuddy
                                    (up against the board trunk), but it achieves headroom through the
                                    cuddy hatch.
                                  • John Kohnen
                                    Message 18 of 22 , Oct 8, 2011
                                      In in smallish boat it makes sense to do ones cooking in the cockpit. I
                                      think cooking inside the cabin is over rated. I'd rather cook in the
                                      cockpit and keep all the steam and heat out of the cabin anyway. Jeff
                                      Stobbe built an Atkin Bamaling 21 1/2 foot motor cruiser and extended the
                                      hardtop aft over the cockpit. He built an actual galley in the forward
                                      part of the cockpit. A very sensible setup:

                                      http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Cruisers/Bamaling.html

                                      http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2003/Loon-3.jpg

                                      --
                                      John (jkohnen@...)
                                      It's hard to be religious when certain people are never
                                      Message 19 of 22 , Oct 8, 2011
                                        Oops! wrong photo of Jeff Stobbe's Bamaling, Loon. Here's the one showing
                                        the galley:

                                        http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2003/Loon-1.jpg

                                        On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 18:58:04 -0700, I wrote:

                                        > In in smallish boat it makes sense to do ones cooking in the cockpit. I
                                        > think cooking inside the cabin is over rated. I'd rather cook in the
                                        > cockpit and keep all the steam and heat out of the cabin anyway. Jeff
                                        > Stobbe built an Atkin Bamaling 21 1/2 foot motor cruiser and extended the
                                        > hardtop aft over the cockpit. He built an actual galley in the forward
                                        > part of the cockpit. A very sensible setup:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Cruisers/Bamaling.html
                                        >
                                        > http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2003/Loon-3.jpg

                                        --
                                        John (jkohnen@...)
                                        "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
                                        "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
                                        truth. (Alfred North Whitehead)
                                      • m riley
                                        Message 20 of 22 , Oct 8, 2011
                                          bruce,

                                          if you read my first line I want to expand all dimensions in proportion stopping when the headroom reached 6 feet,
                                          nowhere did I say that I wanted to keep the 20' loa.
                                          As to the headroom requirement,having lived in a sailboat 4" shy of full headroom for 6 years fulltime caused back problems.
                                          "headroom is deemed unnecessary by  those that have it"
                                          mike