Re: Viking funeral for boat--probably A Bad Idea

  • Myles Swift
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2011

      Rob,

      Two comments. On point #2, most trailer boats don’t have toxic bottom paint. Most boats with bottom paint are far less toxic than they used to be. I switched to vinyl bottom paint to reduce toxicity and because it can take some drying out on the trailer without losing the anti-fouling properties. This is a good argument for graphite/epoxy bottoms. On point #3, some landfill methane systems are pretty efficient. The local one has a generating station, gas is not flared off, it powers the facility.

      MylesJ, fellow Micro owner

    • Stefan Topolski
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
        Amen about toxic comes from nature and it will go back.  Nature magazine recently published about the gulf oil spill and other spills as evidence that oil-eating bacteria in soil and water can do a lot more than we ever realized to eat the oil and restore the natural balance... given some time, but the damage is never permanent.

        All the Best,
        Stefan

        "One gathers peace as a feather in the palm of one's hand."    -anonymous

        Stefan Topolski  MD
        Assist. Professor, U. of Massachusetts Medical School
        Clinical Instructor, U. of New England
        Founder and Director of
        Caring in Community, Inc.  501(c)3
        1105 Mohawk Trail
        Shelburne Falls, Ma.

        El sep 20, 2011, a las 1:35 pm, Doug escribió:

            All that toxic wast is taken from the environment and It all goes back. Burning is just faster. We poor ignorant slobs here on planet earth don't make anything, we convert one thing to another but then it's
         still all here in the end.                           Doug

        On 09/20/2011 01:23 PM, Clayton Ford wrote:

        . . . and then the toxic items go to the landfill. Make sure you take the remains to a landfill that deals with toxic waste.

        "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." Vince Lombardi

        "You cannot take away freedom to protect it, you cannot destroy the free market to save it, and you cannot uphold freedom by silencing those with whom you disagree. To take rights away to defend them or to spend your way out of debt defies common sense." Glenn Beck

        'Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers' (D&C 112:10)

        To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
        From: crandall@...
        Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:43:39 -0500
        Subject: [bolger] Viking funeral for boat--probably A Bad Idea

        A short reminder: Burning epoxy and polyester creates toxic and harmful
        fumes; holding one is a Pyrrhic victory. If your boat is all wood,
        without toxic glues or lead paint, fire away. But if it's a typical
        Bolger boat, with epoxy, polyester, red lead, white lead, etc., then
        save yourself, your family, and your neighbors, by use of reciprocating
        saw and a dumpster.

      • Stefan Topolski
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
          a complete mess - BLECHH.

          All the Best,
          Stefan

          El sep 21, 2011, a las 11:15 am, Peter escribió:

          > - So, the dumpster seems the way to go.

          There a couple of Olympic sailors who burned their boat after the races. IIRC, it was an Etchells that had been dropped and the internal stiffness destroyed. It made an ugly, smokey fire. A nice crisp wood fire is one thing, but burning plastic is a mess.

        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2011
            It's not much good if "some time" is thousands of years. Or more.