Pointy Skiff on life support

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 18, 2011
      hey group.

      I built my Pointy Skiff over 25 years ago from lumber store materials.
      Luan sides, AC bottom, fir strapping for the rails, fir stem, etc...
      the rot at the top edge all around appears to be past repair. It is to the point that I won't got out in it.

      I have an idea to prolong the life of the skiff.

      Strike a line app. 6" down and cut all the rotted wood out. Then cut a piece of plywood 2" bigger and attach it ala a lapstrake technique. Has anyone tried this?

      Although this might be a good excuse just to build a June Bug.

      David jost
    • John Huft
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18, 2011
        Sounds like you got your money's worth out of her.  As I see it you have a few options.  1. Fix it like you planned.  2.  Make a planter out of her.  3.  Send her to Valhalla.  I think you fix it plan is doable, the question is are you willing to put the time and energy into her?
        John Boy

        You can trust me, I have a degree in science...

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 18, 2011
          On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:

          > Strike a line app. 6" down and cut all the rotted wood out. Then cut a piece of plywood 2" bigger and attach it ala a lapstrake technique. Has anyone tried this?

          I have done similar, and I found it acceptable to just scab on
          replacement plywood 'lapstrake' over top of rotted wood. It looks
          kind of makeshift, but it holds water.
        • Bill Howard

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 18, 2011
              Nothing wrong with that idea David.
              Its cheap , relatively easy and quick , and I don`t think it would hurt the looks either.Strike the line with a bendy batten , and get a nice taper on it.

            • Roger Padvorac
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 18, 2011
                David, this thread is intriguing.

                An idea came to me while I was mulling all this over, along with the idea that you can do with boats what they do with cars - cut out the damaged section and weld in a good section from a parted out car. For wooden boats, epoxy is the equivalent to welding for car bodies.

                If you painted the 8" wide strip of plywood, that you will add to the boat, a different color than the side and the gunwales, then instead of looking like an odd patch of sorts, it would likely look like an extra piece of trim added to dress up the boat some.

                This whole thing sounds like an interesting experiment of sorts, and I hope you do it and tell us how it worked out. Many people (including me) get really attached to old boats, and it would be good to know more about what can be done to rehabilitate an old boat with really serious problems.

                Sincerely,
                Roger

                ------------------------------------

                > Bolger rules!!!
                > -
                NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!!  Please!
                > - no cursing, flaming,
                trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                > - stay on topic,
                stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                > - Pls add your
                comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                > - Plans: Mr. Philip
                C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                > -
                Unsubscribe:

                > <*> To visit your group
                on the web, go to:

                > <*> Your email
                settings:
                >    Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:

                >    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                href="mailto:bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com">bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com

                href="mailto:bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                to:

                > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                to:

              • captreed@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 18, 2011
                  I added 8" of freeboard to a dinghy by just epoxying a 11" wide strake to the inside of the existing side panel, a 3" overlap. I then added a new gunwale to the top edge. It has worked just fine for many years.

                  Your repair proposal sounds good.

                  Reed
                • daschultz2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
                    I would do it as you state above. Definitely cut off the rot, to slow the spread into the rest of the hull. I'd be tempted to take my skilsaw and just let it ride along the bottom of the gunwale, connect the kerfs across the stern w' a pencil line and then cut that.

                    Then I'd either make a paper pattern of what I cut off to create the strake to install.

                    Sounds solid to me.

                    Don
                  • dnjost
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
                      The deal is sealed. I found a couple bags of copper clench nails in the cabinet downstairs. If it comes out poorly, I will just through some dirt in it and plant tomatos.

                      David

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                      > hey group.
                      >
                      > I built my Pointy Skiff over 25 years ago from lumber store materials.
                      > Luan sides, AC bottom, fir strapping for the rails, fir stem, etc...
                      > the rot at the top edge all around appears to be past repair. It is to the point that I won't got out in it.
                      >
                      > I have an idea to prolong the life of the skiff.
                      >
                      > Strike a line app. 6" down and cut all the rotted wood out. Then cut a piece of plywood 2" bigger and attach it ala a lapstrake technique. Has anyone tried this?
                      >
                      > Although this might be a good excuse just to build a June Bug.
                      >
                      > David jost

                    • Doug
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
                        come, on    David, I have roted a boat or two by laying them upside down in the grass. I bet you have too.  Fess Up!
                            R There was a skiff laying around the marine up side down rotting.  I didn't use lywood but I had some pine sideing boards  and f  sawed the toung off one side and put around the top of the skiff that has been a lot of years ago a long time tenant there recently told me she was still around.  So it works.
                                                                                                                                        Doug

                        On 09/19/2011 02:56 PM, dnjost wrote:

                        The deal is sealed. I found a couple bags of copper clench nails in the cabinet downstairs. If it comes out poorly, I will just through some dirt in it and plant tomatos.

                        David

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                        > hey group.
                        >
                        > I built my Pointy Skiff over 25 years ago from lumber store materials.
                        > Luan sides, AC bottom, fir strapping for the rails, fir stem, etc...
                        > the rot at the top edge all around appears to be past repair. It is to the point that I won't got out in it.
                        >
                        > I have an idea to prolong the life of the skiff.
                        >
                        > Strike a line app. 6" down and cut all the rotted wood out. Then cut a piece of plywood 2" bigger and attach it ala a lapstrake technique. Has anyone tried this?
                        >
                        > Although this might be a good excuse just to build a June Bug.
                        >
                        > David jost

                      • Harry
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                          > The deal is sealed. I found a couple bags of copper clench nails in the cabinet downstairs. If it comes out poorly, I will just through some dirt in it and plant tomatos.
                          >
                          > David

                          I think it would probably end up  looking better  than  before David!
                        • apraphett777
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
                            I liked the junbugs I have had used I built a pointy skiff this spring they are neat little boats I can see how you would want to keep her . I would still give a proper viking funeral and move on I was wishing I had a sail on my pointy this morning LOL

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                            > hey group.
                            >
                            > I built my Pointy Skiff over 25 years ago from lumber store materials.
                            > Luan sides, AC bottom, fir strapping for the rails, fir stem, etc...
                            > the rot at the top edge all around appears to be past repair. It is to the point that I won't got out in it.
                            >
                            > I have an idea to prolong the life of the skiff.
                            >
                            > Strike a line app. 6" down and cut all the rotted wood out. Then cut a piece of plywood 2" bigger and attach it ala a lapstrake technique. Has anyone tried this?
                            >
                            > Although this might be a good excuse just to build a June Bug.
                            >
                            > David jost

                          • dnjost
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
                              lol. yes, my yard looks like a scene from Sanford and Son, only filled with boats, not junk. total count today is only 5...had a fleet reduction last year. Neighbors think I'm nuts although with all the rain we had, they were thinking that maybe Noah lived here.

                              David