Re: [bolger] Digest Number 5191

  • fgun69@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2011
      Phil Bolger's Boats

      ----- Reply message -----
      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, Sep 2, 2011 9:08 am
      Subject: [bolger] Digest Number 5191
      To: <bolger@yahoogroups.com>

      Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

      1a.
      Re: Epoxy over polyester? From: Myles Swift
      1b.
      Re: Epoxy over polyester? From: John and Kathy Trussell
      1c.
      Re: Epoxy over polyester? From: daschultz2000
      1d.
      Re: Epoxy over polyester? From: Mark Albanese
      1e.
      Re: Epoxy over polyester? From: Douglas Pollard

      Messages

      1a.

      Re: Epoxy over polyester?

      Posted by: "Myles Swift" mswift@...   caigk

      Thu Sep 1, 2011 10:26 am (PDT)

      Because you have to live with the stench of the polyester while you work
      with it, in addition to the fact that it does not stick as well to plywood.
      You can get epoxy with little or no odor.

      MylesJ

      1b.

      Re: Epoxy over polyester?

      Posted by: "John and Kathy Trussell" jtrussell2@...   clumber03

      Thu Sep 1, 2011 11:17 am (PDT)

      This sort of thread always interests me. A long time ago I built boats with
      polyester (and fg tape) using weldwood when I had to glue two pieces of wood
      together. It was the best available and a lot of boats (including several
      thousand Mirror Dinghies) were put together this way. Epoxy is clearly a
      superior product and, if it doesn't stink as badly, is somewhat worse when
      you get sensitized to it-gloves are a necessity and a well ventilated
      workplace is a good idea (epoxy fumes are heavier than air and will
      dissipate out a cracked garage door).

      The issue which seems to be driving this line of inquiry is the relative
      cost of the two products (which doesn't amount to much). Personally, I find
      that my major investment in boat building is time and that even the best
      materials make up a small portion of the total cost (figuring time and
      material) of a boat. Accordingly, I use the best materials I can find and
      ignore the additional incremental cost of first class material. To that end,
      I currently build with marine grade Meranti plywood-about 2/3's the cost of
      okume, and 3 times the cost of luan underlayerment. At least I can be pretty
      sure my boat won't rot or delaminate in 2 or 3 years.

      JohnT

      _____

      Because you have to live with the stench of the polyester while you work
      with it, in addition to the fact that it does not stick as well to plywood.
      You can get epoxy with little or no odor.

      MylesJ

      1c.

      Re: Epoxy over polyester?

      Posted by: "daschultz2000" daschultz8275@...   daschultz2000

      Thu Sep 1, 2011 1:02 pm (PDT)

      Bill makes an important point. If polyester were as effective, people would use it.

      With regard to longevity, I know that Jim Michalak has at least his Birdwatcher built many years ago with polyester resin. He says his habit of storing his boats indoors contributes to their long life. I believe him.

      But I also know none of these resins survives well in direct sun. They all need protection.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamers@.. .> wrote:

      >...Lately, I can't remember anyone building at home with polyester...

      1d.

      Re: Epoxy over polyester?

      Posted by: "Mark Albanese" marka97203@...   marka97203

      Thu Sep 1, 2011 2:17 pm (PDT)

      My Winsprint is about 16 years old, epoxy glued and w/ a polyester
      bottom. With no special care it's only starting to strip a little
      fabric here or there just now.
      You could say I got my money's worth. Still, apart from really cheap
      experiments, I've used epoxy ever since. The ease of having just one
      goo for every job is rather nice.

      On Sep 1, 2011, at 1:02 PM, daschultz2000 wrote:

      > Bill makes an important point. If polyester were as effective,
      > people would use it.
      >
      > With regard to longevity, I know that Jim Michalak has at least his
      > Birdwatcher built many years ago with polyester resin. He says his
      > habit of storing his boats indoors contributes to their long life.
      > I believe him.
      >
      > But I also know none of these resins survives well in direct sun.
      > They all need protection.

      1e.

      Re: Epoxy over polyester?

      Posted by: "Douglas Pollard" dougpol1@...   dougpol2

      Thu Sep 1, 2011 2:47 pm (PDT)

      The winter before last I almost bought a 35 ft. ketch she was 41 years
      old and in pristine condition. I went over her and could find no
      problems with wood or glass. She was glassed inside and out, Strip built
      absolutly beautiful. WE couldn't get to gether on price and I wish I
      had been able to pay more.
      In the 1966 I bought a Japanese built Yokohama 21 that was built in
      1956 she was polyester and glass over painted on the inside no glass or
      resin inside. Our family grew and she got to small. I sold her to two
      women and they kept her closed up tight setting in a boat yard. At 30
      years old she need some minor work and was burned up at age 35. Her
      glass was still stuck tight but she rotted from the inside. I had kept
      her under cover with ventilation for and aft during the winters but she
      was uncovered all during the Virginia sailing months. So, If I were
      buying a boat and she was built of good lumber and polyester coated that
      likely would not stop me. If I were building one and was using big box
      plywood I would spend the money for epoxy. If I were building from the
      best lumber I might build without glass covering of any kind.
      Good wood and good paint and good maintenance and care and a boat
      will likely last 30 or 40 years anyway. The problem is, I am not a good
      enough carpenter to build a boat without glass to cover my louzy
      fits. Doug

      On 09/01/2011 05:17 PM, Mark Albanese wrote:

      > My Winsprint is about 16 years old, epoxy glued and w/ a polyester
      > bottom. With no special care it's only starting to strip a little
      > fabric here or there just now.
      > You could say I got my money's worth. Still, apart from really cheap
      > experiments, I've used epoxy ever since. The ease of having just one
      > goo for every job is rather nice.
      >
      > On Sep 1, 2011, at 1:02 PM, daschultz2000 wrote:
      >

      > > Bill makes an important point. If polyester were as effective,
      > > people would use it.
      > >
      > > With regard to longevity, I know that Jim Michalak has at least his
      > > Birdwatcher built many years ago with polyester resin. He says his
      > > habit of storing his boats indoors contributes to their long life.
      > > I believe him.
      > >
      > > But I also know none of these resins survives well in direct sun.
      > > They all need protection.

      Health Zone

      Look your best!

      Groups to help you

      look & feel great.

      Yahoo! Finance

      It's Now Personal

      Guides, news,

      advice & more.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Parenting Zone

      Community resources

      for parents

      Need to Reply?

      Bolger rules!!!
      - NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!!  Please!
      - Unsubscribe:  bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com