RE: [bolger] Re: Epoxy over polyester?

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 1, 2011

      This sort of thread always interests me. A long time ago I built boats with polyester (and fg tape) using weldwood when I had to glue two pieces of wood together. It was the best available and a lot of boats (including several thousand Mirror Dinghies) were put together this way. Epoxy is clearly a superior product and, if it doesn’t stink as badly, is somewhat worse when you get sensitized to it—gloves are a necessity and a well ventilated workplace is a good idea (epoxy fumes are heavier than air and will dissipate out a cracked garage door).

      The issue which seems to be driving this line of inquiry is the relative cost of the two products (which doesn’t amount to much). Personally, I find that my major investment in boat building is time and that even the best materials make up a small portion of the total cost (figuring time and material) of a boat. Accordingly, I use the best materials I can find and ignore the additional incremental cost of first class material. To that end, I currently build with marine grade Meranti plywood—about 2/3’s the cost of okume, and 3 times the cost of luan underlayerment. At least I can be pretty sure my boat won’t rot or delaminate in 2 or 3 years…

      JohnT

      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 4, 2011
        In his book he did restore sailing yachts with it - his stories include one being indestructable until it got cut in half by a steamer off shore.

        All the Best,
        Stefan

        "One gathers peace as a feather in the palm of one's hand."    -anonymous

        Stefan Topolski  MD
        Assist. Professor, U. of Massachusetts Medical School
        Clinical Instructor, U. of New England
        Founder and Director of
        Caring in Community, Inc.  501(c)3
        1105 Mohawk Trail
        Shelburne Falls, Ma.

        El sep 17, 2011, a las 5:06 pm, John Kohnen escribió:

        Vaitses's method was intended to get some more years of working out of
        fishing boats and other workboats. I don't think I ever read of him
        touting it for yachts.

        A fellow I knew got ahold of a nice-looking British built double-ended
        sailboat that had been cold-molded over. The work had been done in Port
        Townsend, wooden boat capital of the west. That doesn't mean that
        _everyone_ in Port Townsend knows what they're doing. <g> One day he cut
        or drilled into the hull to mount something, and after he got through the
        cold-molded outer shell he ran into -- compost! :o( From the outside the
        boat looked great, from the inside it looked OK, in between was a layer of
        very rotten wood, sandwiched between the cold-molded shell and a thin
        layer of good wood on the inside of the planks. <sigh> He ground off the
        cold-molded shell and discovered that just about every plank needed to be
        replaced. He never got very far into the project before he lost heart, and
        the boat was eventually broken up by the boatyard. If he'd never cut
        through the outer shell maybe he'd have gone voyaging, and maybe the boat
        would have brought him back. <shrug> After he knew that there wasn't much
        of anything holding that outer shell to the rest of the boat he didn't
        dare take her to sea.

        The example many people give of a boat that was cold-molded over
        successfully is a British cutter that spends most of its time around South
        Georgia -- where it's _cold_ and the rot spores are probably in
        hibernation. <g> I'd be very suspicious of any traditionally built wooden
        boat that had been covered with glass, using polyester or epoxy, or had
        been shelled with cold-molding.

        On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:27:44 -0700, dave wrote:

        The vaitses method always makes me cringe when I hear about it. I guess
        in the case of a boat with a really terminal hull, great interior and
        great rig.... it might,just might, pay to do that, but if you're going
        to build a new hull over the old one, why not cold mold? The part
        nobody's talking about is fairing the new polyester hull. That's a huge
        labor investment, unless you just don't care and decide to paint the raw
        polyester, in which case you've built yourself a totally unsaleable
        hulk. Either way, you've built yourself a totally unsaleable boat, so
        you better love it for the 15 or so years it'll last before that
        well-sheathed rot finishes its business; but if you fair it, at least
        it'll look like a boat.

        John (jkohnen@...)
        A fool and his money are soon elected. (Will Rogers)

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)