Re: Sailing Cartopper with 59 sq ft sprit boom rig

  • Myles Swift
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22 10:24 AM

      John,

      I really appreciated your details on the movable snotter, sounds like just the thing. I see from your picture that you reef moving the sprit forward. Do you find that you get a lot of sprit on mast banging in that area? That was a problem with Micro. Bolger’s cure for that was putting the sprit through some kind of slide attached to the mast, but that fights with your approach of  the movable snotter and the cross lacing.

      For your floatation question try this. Look for a pool float, usually about  1 ½ inches thick with the finished/sealed surface (not open cell). It is thin enough to lay back on and provide some extra comfort. One of those floats supports over 200 pounds. For something smaller, some gardening kneelers are made this way as well. You need to use marine Velcro to keep them in the position you wanted, amidships just below the gunnel.

      MylesJ