Re: [bolger] Re: Library of Congress?

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3 8:07 AM
      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Susanne@...
      <philbolger@...> wrote:
      >  And this project is now covered in the current and future issues of MAIB.

      This US Navy commission is very exciting, and I am eagerly waiting to
      read about it in MAIB. Keep on hanging it there!

      I am guessing this is a prototype SACPAS? "Security Assistance
      Contingency Producible Affordable System", in other words, an easy to
      build patrol craft for use by friendly third world country navies.

      ...as described in this Michael Bosworth letter:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/3943182350/
    • L
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3 9:49 AM

        It is unfortunate that "eccentric" has become perjorative.  The original meaning was mechanical, and it referred to device that rotated about a point other than its center.  Eccentric gears are terribly useful things.  Granted, today it's seen as a little bit steampunk to think in terms of clever machinery, but you can't have a camshaft without a bit of eccentricity someplace.

        There is a center in the field of boat design, though of course that center is always moving.  There is an average, there is an ordinary, there is a conventional, and these things always form the center of any field.

        PCB was never at that center.  It is unfortunate that "eccentric" has become perjorative.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4 2:38 AM
          Indeed, Bruce.
               The current MAIB issue begins a narrative on this project.  The last Phil and I discussed.  The first design without him.  #681 is the beginning of the 'Post-Phil' design numbers.  I hope I'll do justice to his legacy with this project.
          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          P.S.  Nothing wrong with 'eccentric'... particularly if the design-work adds to the spectrum of options and thus shifts 'the center'...

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4 7:42 AM
            > P.S.  Nothing wrong with 'eccentric'... particularly if the design-work adds to the spectrum of options and thus shifts 'the center'...

            It's the only that ever CAN shift the center.

            Lecturer: "You need to think outside the box."
                 The current MAIB issue begins a narrative on this project.  The last Phil and I discussed.  The first design without him.  #681 is the beginning of the 'Post-Phil' design numbers.  I hope I'll do justice to his legacy with this project.
            Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

            P.S.  Nothing wrong with 'eccentric'... particularly if the design-work adds to the spectrum of options and thus shifts 'the center'...
            >  And this project is now covered in the current and future issues of MAIB.

            This US Navy commission is very exciting, and I am eagerly waiting to
            read about it in MAIB. Keep on hanging it there!

            I am guessing this is a prototype SACPAS? "Security Assistance
            Contingency Producible Affordable System", in other words, an easy to
            build patrol craft for use by friendly third world country navies.

            ...as described in this Michael Bosworth letter:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/3943182350/

          • c.ruzer
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4 5:20 PM
              In any reasonably expansive dictionary the use of "eccentric", in the senses applicable to persons, has those particular meanings discretely defined. The senses of the word applicable to machinery, maths, astronomy, etc, are also discretely defined. A reasonable dictionary is not a dictator of word definitions (or spelling, or use) but is a record of words as used by speakers of the language. A certain threshold of use in that population is usually required for a word to be added/deleted, or to be redefined. You may redefine "eccentric" if you wish, and benefit. Good luck with that.

              However, as it is, foci and directrices remain unchanged (usually), only the eccentricities shift as may be the case in any personal affectation, peccadillo, folly, mannerism, or quirkinesss. I'd suggest caution in confounding the senses of "eccentric", something with a deviant irregularity shifting about a centre, say, and having that centre also shifty, for then things are usually indeed shaky and in danger of really unhinging.

              I think the word(s) you may be looking for are along the lines of ingenious, irrepressible, innovative, irreverent, inventive, insightful, individual; genius...

              "Excellence is the perfect excuse. Do it well, and it little matters what." - R. W. Emerson

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4 6:43 PM

                If I concede the point, can we end this?

                If yes, please indicate by not replying.

                In any reasonably expansive dictionary the use of "eccentric", in the senses applicable to persons, has those particular meanings discretely defined.  The senses of the word applicable to machinery, maths, astronomy, etc, are also discretely defined. A reasonable dictionary is not a dictator of word definitions (or spelling, or use) but is a record of words as used by speakers of the language. A certain threshold of use in that population is usually required for a word to be added/deleted, or to be redefined. You may redefine "eccentric" if you wish, and benefit. Good luck with that.

                However, as it is, foci and directrices remain unchanged (usually), only the eccentricities shift as may be the case in any personal affectation, peccadillo, folly, mannerism, or quirkinesss. I'd suggest caution in confounding the senses of "eccentric", something with a deviant irregularity shifting about a centre, say, and having that centre also shifty, for then things are usually indeed shaky and in danger of really unhinging.

                I think the word(s) you may be looking for are along the lines of ingenious, irrepressible, innovative, irreverent, inventive, insightful, individual; genius...

                "Excellence is the perfect excuse. Do it well, and it little matters what." - R. W. Emerson

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, L <lew_clayman@...> wrote:

                > > P.S.  Nothing wrong with 'eccentric'... particularly if the design-work adds to the spectrum of options and thus shifts 'the center'...
                >

                > It's the only that ever CAN shift the center.

                > Lecturer: "You need to think outside the box."

              • Bill Howard
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4 6:46 PM

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4 7:49 PM
                    seems too iffy not to be done