Re: Does this Bolger design exist?

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
      > Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589
      > for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

      No, although functionally it would be similar to the open-cockpit version of #589.

      The idea began as a Small Boat Journal cartoon, and was picked up by a guy who wanted to build them out of fiberglass. As far as I know, it never got into production. There is a picture in one of Phil's books.

      As I recall, it had a shoal keel (which is not like a Thames barge), but he hull sections were quite flat through most of the bottom.
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
        In the BWAOM chapter called something like "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer that has a hull shape similar to what you describe. In lacks a cabin and accomodation, but has the shoal keel. It's only a concept unfortunately, but it seems to me that the cabin and rig you desire would fit this hull.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "tfpainter1422" <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:

        > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
        >
        > Looking for the following features:
        >
        > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
        > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
        > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
        > Unstayed cat yawl rig
        > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
        > Inboard rudder
        >
        > Sounds a bit like the Peep Hen...but they missed the mizzen and shoal ballast keel!

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
          > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
          > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...

          That would be the one I was thinking of.
        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
            On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Peter <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

            > > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
            > > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...
            >
            > That would be the one I was thinking of.

            Also known as "Little Fuss" from the Small Boat Journal #32, Aug/Sept 1983.
          • John and Kathy Trussell
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011

              A little bigger than you had in mind—check out the “triple Keel Sloop”, design 328 in Different Boats.

              JohnT