Re: [bolger] Re: Does this Bolger design exist?

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
      Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589 for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

      On Aug 2, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Peter wrote:

      > Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too.
      > Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

      There was a catboat of 15' or 16' that was supposed to be an exercise in simplicity. Cat rig rather than cat yawl, but maybe the hull was similar.

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
        > Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589
        > for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

        No, although functionally it would be similar to the open-cockpit version of #589.

        The idea began as a Small Boat Journal cartoon, and was picked up by a guy who wanted to build them out of fiberglass. As far as I know, it never got into production. There is a picture in one of Phil's books.

        As I recall, it had a shoal keel (which is not like a Thames barge), but he hull sections were quite flat through most of the bottom.
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
          In the BWAOM chapter called something like "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer that has a hull shape similar to what you describe. In lacks a cabin and accomodation, but has the shoal keel. It's only a concept unfortunately, but it seems to me that the cabin and rig you desire would fit this hull.

          Jon

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "tfpainter1422" <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:

          > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
          >
          > Looking for the following features:
          >
          > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
          > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
          > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
          > Unstayed cat yawl rig
          > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
          > Inboard rudder
          >
          > Sounds a bit like the Peep Hen...but they missed the mizzen and shoal ballast keel!

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
            > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
            > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...

            That would be the one I was thinking of.
          • BruceHallman
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
              On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Peter <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

              > > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
              > > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...
              >
              > That would be the one I was thinking of.

              Also known as "Little Fuss" from the Small Boat Journal #32, Aug/Sept 1983.
            • John and Kathy Trussell
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011

                A little bigger than you had in mind—check out the “triple Keel Sloop”, design 328 in Different Boats.

                JohnT