Re: Does this Bolger design exist?

  • tfpainter1422
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
      Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too. Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

      What I'm thinking of is not far off from Welsford's Pilgrim or a Highlander 18...just can't find exactly what I want. Might have to dust off the spline weights..

      > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, tfpainter1422 <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
      > >
      > > Looking for the following features:
      > >
      > > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
      > > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
      > > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
      > > Unstayed cat yawl rig
      > > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
      > > Inboard rudder
      > >

      > I think the 16 foot Prince William Sound Yawl has a scaled down hull
      > shape similar to Romp.
      >
      > http://hallman.org/bolger/PWSY/PWSY.png
      >
      > The parts of your wish list might be hard to achieve in a boat only 16
      > feet long.

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
        > Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too.
        > Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

        There was a catboat of 15' or 16' that was supposed to be an exercise in simplicity. Cat rig rather than cat yawl, but maybe the hull was similar.
      • Bill Howard
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
          Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589 for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
            > Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589
            > for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

            No, although functionally it would be similar to the open-cockpit version of #589.

            The idea began as a Small Boat Journal cartoon, and was picked up by a guy who wanted to build them out of fiberglass. As far as I know, it never got into production. There is a picture in one of Phil's books.

            As I recall, it had a shoal keel (which is not like a Thames barge), but he hull sections were quite flat through most of the bottom.
          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
              In the BWAOM chapter called something like "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer that has a hull shape similar to what you describe. In lacks a cabin and accomodation, but has the shoal keel. It's only a concept unfortunately, but it seems to me that the cabin and rig you desire would fit this hull.

              Jon

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "tfpainter1422" <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:

              > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
              >
              > Looking for the following features:
              >
              > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
              > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
              > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
              > Unstayed cat yawl rig
              > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
              > Inboard rudder
              >
              > Sounds a bit like the Peep Hen...but they missed the mizzen and shoal ballast keel!

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
                > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...

                That would be the one I was thinking of.
              • BruceHallman
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                  On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Peter <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                  > > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
                  > > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...
                  >
                  > That would be the one I was thinking of.

                  Also known as "Little Fuss" from the Small Boat Journal #32, Aug/Sept 1983.
                • John and Kathy Trussell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011

                    A little bigger than you had in mind—check out the “triple Keel Sloop”, design 328 in Different Boats.

                    JohnT