RE: [bolger] Does this Bolger design exist?

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011

      When PCB wasn’t drawing sharpies, one of his sources of inspiration was the Thames Barge. The closest thing that I know of to a small barge is the Recreational Rowboat, design #300 in The Folding Schooner. It’s about 3 ft shorter and 2 ft narrower than your specs. PCB’s comment was “…this is a poor design for a sail or motor boat, being modeled for a slower speed than you are entitled to expect of either.”

      JohnT

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
        On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, tfpainter1422 <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:

        > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
        >
        > Looking for the following features:
        >
        > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
        > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
        > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
        > Unstayed cat yawl rig
        > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
        > Inboard rudder

        I think the 16 foot Prince William Sound Yawl has a scaled down hull
        shape similar to Romp.

        http://hallman.org/bolger/PWSY/PWSY.png

        The parts of your wish list might be hard to achieve in a boat only 16
        feet long.
      • tfpainter1422
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
          Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too. Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

          What I'm thinking of is not far off from Welsford's Pilgrim or a Highlander 18...just can't find exactly what I want. Might have to dust off the spline weights..

          > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, tfpainter1422 <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
          > >
          > > Looking for the following features:
          > >
          > > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
          > > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
          > > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
          > > Unstayed cat yawl rig
          > > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
          > > Inboard rudder
          > >

          > I think the 16 foot Prince William Sound Yawl has a scaled down hull
          > shape similar to Romp.
          >
          > http://hallman.org/bolger/PWSY/PWSY.png
          >
          > The parts of your wish list might be hard to achieve in a boat only 16
          > feet long.

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
            > Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too.
            > Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

            There was a catboat of 15' or 16' that was supposed to be an exercise in simplicity. Cat rig rather than cat yawl, but maybe the hull was similar.
          • Bill Howard
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
              Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589 for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                > Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589
                > for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

                No, although functionally it would be similar to the open-cockpit version of #589.

                The idea began as a Small Boat Journal cartoon, and was picked up by a guy who wanted to build them out of fiberglass. As far as I know, it never got into production. There is a picture in one of Phil's books.

                As I recall, it had a shoal keel (which is not like a Thames barge), but he hull sections were quite flat through most of the bottom.
              • adventures_in_astrophotography
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                  In the BWAOM chapter called something like "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer that has a hull shape similar to what you describe. In lacks a cabin and accomodation, but has the shoal keel. It's only a concept unfortunately, but it seems to me that the cabin and rig you desire would fit this hull.

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                    > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
                    > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...

                    That would be the one I was thinking of.
                  • BruceHallman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Peter <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                      > > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
                      > > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...
                      >
                      > That would be the one I was thinking of.

                      Also known as "Little Fuss" from the Small Boat Journal #32, Aug/Sept 1983.
                    • John and Kathy Trussell
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011

                        A little bigger than you had in mind—check out the “triple Keel Sloop”, design 328 in Different Boats.

                        JohnT