Does this Bolger design exist?

  • tfpainter1422
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
      I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?

      Looking for the following features:

      16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
      Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
      Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
      Unstayed cat yawl rig
      Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
      Inboard rudder

      Sounds a bit like the Peep Hen...but they missed the mizzen and shoal ballast keel!
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011

        When PCB wasn’t drawing sharpies, one of his sources of inspiration was the Thames Barge. The closest thing that I know of to a small barge is the Recreational Rowboat, design #300 in The Folding Schooner. It’s about 3 ft shorter and 2 ft narrower than your specs. PCB’s comment was “…this is a poor design for a sail or motor boat, being modeled for a slower speed than you are entitled to expect of either.”

        JohnT

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
          On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, tfpainter1422 <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:

          > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
          >
          > Looking for the following features:
          >
          > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
          > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
          > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
          > Unstayed cat yawl rig
          > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
          > Inboard rudder

          I think the 16 foot Prince William Sound Yawl has a scaled down hull
          shape similar to Romp.

          http://hallman.org/bolger/PWSY/PWSY.png

          The parts of your wish list might be hard to achieve in a boat only 16
          feet long.
        • tfpainter1422
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
            Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too. Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

            What I'm thinking of is not far off from Welsford's Pilgrim or a Highlander 18...just can't find exactly what I want. Might have to dust off the spline weights..

            > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, tfpainter1422 <tfpainter1422@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > I have or have had all of Bolger's books but that leaves many, probably hundreds more that I haven't seen. Anyway, just curious did Bolger ever design a scaled down Romp type hull that is similar in size, proportion and layout to Micro?
            > >
            > > Looking for the following features:
            > >
            > > 16' x 6' (or thereabouts)
            > > Romp style shoal draft (Thames Barge) hullform.
            > > Shallow ballast keel w/ or w/o centerboard (no leeboards!)
            > > Unstayed cat yawl rig
            > > Spartan cabin (mostly cockpit)
            > > Inboard rudder
            > >

            > I think the 16 foot Prince William Sound Yawl has a scaled down hull
            > shape similar to Romp.
            >
            > http://hallman.org/bolger/PWSY/PWSY.png
            >
            > The parts of your wish list might be hard to achieve in a boat only 16
            > feet long.

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
              > Yeah, I was thinking about the PWSY too.
              > Bolger did a lots of boats on the Thames barge concept.

              There was a catboat of 15' or 16' that was supposed to be an exercise in simplicity. Cat rig rather than cat yawl, but maybe the hull was similar.
            • Bill Howard
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
                Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589 for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                  > Are you perhaps referring to Phil's design # 589
                  > for H. H. Payson, "Catfish Beach Cruiser?"

                  No, although functionally it would be similar to the open-cockpit version of #589.

                  The idea began as a Small Boat Journal cartoon, and was picked up by a guy who wanted to build them out of fiberglass. As far as I know, it never got into production. There is a picture in one of Phil's books.

                  As I recall, it had a shoal keel (which is not like a Thames barge), but he hull sections were quite flat through most of the bottom.
                • adventures_in_astrophotography
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                    In the BWAOM chapter called something like "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer that has a hull shape similar to what you describe. In lacks a cabin and accomodation, but has the shoal keel. It's only a concept unfortunately, but it seems to me that the cabin and rig you desire would fit this hull.

                    Jon

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                      > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
                      > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...

                      That would be the one I was thinking of.
                    • BruceHallman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011
                        On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Peter <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                        > > In the BWAOM chapter called something like
                        > > "For Moorings and Private Landings" is an 18' gaff-rigged daysailer...
                        >
                        > That would be the one I was thinking of.

                        Also known as "Little Fuss" from the Small Boat Journal #32, Aug/Sept 1983.
                      • John and Kathy Trussell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3, 2011

                          A little bigger than you had in mind—check out the “triple Keel Sloop”, design 328 in Different Boats.

                          JohnT