Re: Wyoming in Aluminum.......Your Thoughts?

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 22, 2011
      Pyper,

      Sounds like an interesting idea.

      Let me know if you get serious about this - I might be able to help you modify the scantlings, short of producing plans. From what I read, 3/16 might be about the thinnest you could weld with ease and little distortion, but your shop might have a different opinion. I think you'll be looking at 5000 series.

      I think I would probably approach it from the skin inwards, providing structure to provide fairness and prevent oil-canning, and see if the weights fall in line with something reasonable for the design.

      I think you'd also want to consider the intended use for the boat.

      BTW, I'm an MSME (aerospace, really), and just a hacker boatbuilder.

      Gregg Carlson