Jessie Cooper

  • KK7B
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 5, 2011
      Hi All,

      With great delight I was able to spend some time yesterday up close to the Jessie Cooper "Tomboy" pictured on the cover of Phil Bolger's Boats with an Open Mind. I volunteer crew aboard the Crowninshield schooner Adventuress, so while we were taking visitors aboard at the Seattle Wooden Boat festival I had a chance to wander over to where Tomboy was tied up at the dock. I also saw her under sail on two different occasions from the shore, and we passed close by in the channel while I was standing bow watch on Adventuress.

      I've been fascinated with the design since my son (now 27) was a toddler. I built him a wood block model Jessie Cooper during a visit to my father's woodshop while my mother cooked dinner--just a few cuts with a bandsaw, no carving required. Tinkertoy masts, properly offset to starboard. That boat model is still up in the attic in a box of his old toys.

      The Center For Wooden Boats put on a good show, with a number of classy racing yachts and precious little pocket cruisers. I also got to see a Herreshoff Rozinante up close--spent about ten minutes looking her over. But Jessie Cooper was worth much more time...

      What a great personality and fascinating boat.

      Best Regards,

      Rick Campbell
    • BruceHallman
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 6, 2011
        On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM, KK7B <kk7b@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > With great delight I was able to spend some time yesterday up close to the Jessie Cooper "Tomboy"...
        ... I also got to see a Herreshoff Rozinante up close--spent about ten
        minutes looking her over. But Jessie Cooper was worth much more
        time...

        > What a great personality and fascinating boat.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Rick Campbell

        WOW. I am jealous, wish I was there!
      • paull01
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 13, 2011
          Hi from Tomboy herself!

          I was the one making the passes in front of the CWB on the 3rd of July. It's tons of fun to sail close to stuff and getting in and out of the lagoon by Kenmore Air was exhilarating to say the least. I was hoping someone shot some video of us as we got boosted along by the prop wash from the taxiing planes. Our video camera is on the blink, but I hope to get some footage someday.

          Paul
          Seattle

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > With great delight I was able to spend some time yesterday up close to the Jessie Cooper "Tomboy" pictured on the cover of Phil Bolger's Boats with an Open Mind. I volunteer crew aboard the Crowninshield schooner Adventuress, so while we were taking visitors aboard at the Seattle Wooden Boat festival I had a chance to wander over to where Tomboy was tied up at the dock. I also saw her under sail on two different occasions from the shore, and we passed close by in the channel while I was standing bow watch on Adventuress.
          >
          > I've been fascinated with the design since my son (now 27) was a toddler. I built him a wood block model Jessie Cooper during a visit to my father's woodshop while my mother cooked dinner--just a few cuts with a bandsaw, no carving required. Tinkertoy masts, properly offset to starboard. That boat model is still up in the attic in a box of his old toys.
          >
          > The Center For Wooden Boats put on a good show, with a number of classy racing yachts and precious little pocket cruisers. I also got to see a Herreshoff Rozinante up close--spent about ten minutes looking her over. But Jessie Cooper was worth much more time...
          >
          > What a great personality and fascinating boat.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          >
          > Rick Campbell

        • KK7B
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 15, 2011
            Hi Paul,

            Thanks for the response. I was busy on the foredeck of Adventuress while you were maneuvering out of the lagoon so I didn't take any photographs, but I did observe the Kenmore Air prop wash. You and Tomboy put on a nice demonstration of seamanship in close quarters.

            I'll keep my eyes open for Tomboy in my travels--but I usually sail around Portland and Hood River when I'm not volunteer crewing on Adventuress. Will you be over in Port Townsend for the Wooden Boat Festival in September? I'll have my little Bolger nymph Wee Rose there.

            Best Regards,

            Rick

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "paull01" <paull01@...> wrote:

            > Hi from Tomboy herself!
            >
            > I was the one making the passes in front of the CWB on the 3rd of July. It's tons of fun to sail close to stuff and getting in and out of the lagoon by Kenmore Air was exhilarating to say the least. I was hoping someone shot some video of us as we got boosted along by the prop wash from the taxiing planes. Our video camera is on the blink, but I hope to get some footage someday.
            >
            > Paul
            > Seattle
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > With great delight I was able to spend some time yesterday up close to the Jessie Cooper "Tomboy" pictured on the cover of Phil Bolger's Boats with an Open Mind. I volunteer crew aboard the Crowninshield schooner Adventuress, so while we were taking visitors aboard at the Seattle Wooden Boat festival I had a chance to wander over to where Tomboy was tied up at the dock. I also saw her under sail on two different occasions from the shore, and we passed close by in the channel while I was standing bow watch on Adventuress.
            > >
            > > I've been fascinated with the design since my son (now 27) was a toddler. I built him a wood block model Jessie Cooper during a visit to my father's woodshop while my mother cooked dinner--just a few cuts with a bandsaw, no carving required. Tinkertoy masts, properly offset to starboard. That boat model is still up in the attic in a box of his old toys.
            > >
            > > The Center For Wooden Boats put on a good show, with a number of classy racing yachts and precious little pocket cruisers. I also got to see a Herreshoff Rozinante up close--spent about ten minutes looking her over. But Jessie Cooper was worth much more time...
            > >
            > > What a great personality and fascinating boat.
            > >
            > > Best Regards,
            > >
            > > Rick Campbell

          • oldshoe7
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 16, 2011
              I posted a picture of TOMBOY manuevering off the CWB floats July 3rd, 2011. Sory I don't have any video - I'll get some next time I see her. This is one of a series of pictures of the CWB Festival that will appear on Duckworks in the near future in an article I have submitted. I also have pictures of TOMBOY in the 2009 show alongside the pier should anyone be interested. Very impressive build quality and manueverability! Pete

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@...> wrote:

              > Hi Paul,
              >
              > Thanks for the response. I was busy on the foredeck of Adventuress while you were maneuvering out of the lagoon so I didn't take any photographs, but I did observe the Kenmore Air prop wash. You and Tomboy put on a nice demonstration of seamanship in close quarters.
              >
              > I'll keep my eyes open for Tomboy in my travels--but I usually sail around Portland and Hood River when I'm not volunteer crewing on Adventuress. Will you be over in Port Townsend for the Wooden Boat Festival in September? I'll have my little Bolger nymph Wee Rose there.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              >
              > Rick
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "paull01" <paull01@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi from Tomboy herself!
              > >
              > > I was the one making the passes in front of the CWB on the 3rd of July. It's tons of fun to sail close to stuff and getting in and out of the lagoon by Kenmore Air was exhilarating to say the least. I was hoping someone shot some video of us as we got boosted along by the prop wash from the taxiing planes. Our video camera is on the blink, but I hope to get some footage someday.
              > >
              > > Paul
              > > Seattle
              > >
              > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > With great delight I was able to spend some time yesterday up close to the Jessie Cooper "Tomboy" pictured on the cover of Phil Bolger's Boats with an Open Mind. I volunteer crew aboard the Crowninshield schooner Adventuress, so while we were taking visitors aboard at the Seattle Wooden Boat festival I had a chance to wander over to where Tomboy was tied up at the dock. I also saw her under sail on two different occasions from the shore, and we passed close by in the channel while I was standing bow watch on Adventuress.
              > > >
              > > > I've been fascinated with the design since my son (now 27) was a toddler. I built him a wood block model Jessie Cooper during a visit to my father's woodshop while my mother cooked dinner--just a few cuts with a bandsaw, no carving required. Tinkertoy masts, properly offset to starboard. That boat model is still up in the attic in a box of his old toys.
              > > >
              > > > The Center For Wooden Boats put on a good show, with a number of classy racing yachts and precious little pocket cruisers. I also got to see a Herreshoff Rozinante up close--spent about ten minutes looking her over. But Jessie Cooper was worth much more time...
              > > >
              > > > What a great personality and fascinating boat.
              > > >
              > > > Best Regards,
              > > >
              > > > Rick Campbell

            • paull01
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 19, 2011
                I appreciate the nice comments. With the house project coming up, I'm not sure how much time I'll have off during the rest of what remains of this soggiest of summers. I think yesterday we may have made it over 10 days of sunshine ----- for the whole #$%@ year!!! When I get some time I'll try to add more photos to the gallery.

                Paul
                Seattle

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@...> wrote:

                > Hi Paul,
                >
                > Thanks for the response. I was busy on the foredeck of Adventuress while you were maneuvering out of the lagoon so I didn't take any photographs, but I did observe the Kenmore Air prop wash. You and Tomboy put on a nice demonstration of seamanship in close quarters.
                >
                > I'll keep my eyes open for Tomboy in my travels--but I usually sail around Portland and Hood River when I'm not volunteer crewing on Adventuress. Will you be over in Port Townsend for the Wooden Boat Festival in September? I'll have my little Bolger nymph Wee Rose there.
                >
                > Best Regards,
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "paull01" <paull01@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi from Tomboy herself!
                > >
                > > I was the one making the passes in front of the CWB on the 3rd of July. It's tons of fun to sail close to stuff and getting in and out of the lagoon by Kenmore Air was exhilarating to say the least. I was hoping someone shot some video of us as we got boosted along by the prop wash from the taxiing planes. Our video camera is on the blink, but I hope to get some footage someday.
                > >
                > > Paul
                > > Seattle
                > >
                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi All,
                > > >
                > > > With great delight I was able to spend some time yesterday up close to the Jessie Cooper "Tomboy" pictured on the cover of Phil Bolger's Boats with an Open Mind. I volunteer crew aboard the Crowninshield schooner Adventuress, so while we were taking visitors aboard at the Seattle Wooden Boat festival I had a chance to wander over to where Tomboy was tied up at the dock. I also saw her under sail on two different occasions from the shore, and we passed close by in the channel while I was standing bow watch on Adventuress.
                > > >
                > > > I've been fascinated with the design since my son (now 27) was a toddler. I built him a wood block model Jessie Cooper during a visit to my father's woodshop while my mother cooked dinner--just a few cuts with a bandsaw, no carving required. Tinkertoy masts, properly offset to starboard. That boat model is still up in the attic in a box of his old toys.
                > > >
                > > > The Center For Wooden Boats put on a good show, with a number of classy racing yachts and precious little pocket cruisers. I also got to see a Herreshoff Rozinante up close--spent about ten minutes looking her over. But Jessie Cooper was worth much more time...
                > > >
                > > > What a great personality and fascinating boat.
                > > >
                > > > Best Regards,
                > > >
                > > > Rick Campbell

              • paull01
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 19, 2011
                  Speaking of festivals, I just found an add for the CWB's Home Built Boats Weekend --- this weekend! Here is the website:

                  http://cwb.org/home-built-boats-weekend

                  Looks like lots of great boats already signed up. Tomboy just got accepted -even in her current state-. So if you can, come on by to see her this weekend. I'll take you for a sail. I even think sunshine is forecast!!