Re: Carlson's Hulls under Widows 7 ?

  • cruising.sailor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011
      Thanks to all who have contributed.

      Yes, I'm on Win7 Home 64 bit.
      Looks like no one has gotten any of the Win7 Compatibility modes hat haven't worked for me (but I was hoping ;) Haven't done the VM thingy yet as I'd still have to buy the retail WinXP O/S to run inside the VM.

      Gregg,
      Good to hear that you are considering the possibility of doing some furhter work on hulls.exe! It is by far the best piece of work out there for getting the basic hull shapes sorted by running lots of comparo's. When more info or things like appendages are needed, most of the Freeship/Delftship/other packages accept hulls.exe output directly.

      It would be really interesting to get a recompiled version, even with some functions disabled, just to see how much functionality could be retained with the minimum effort by you. Well, that would be my vote anyway ;)

      Again, thanks to all
      and to Gregg for a great (greatest?) hull design program,
      TomH

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

      > That's on my to do list. It's not easy as there are some functions I'll need to find replacements for or disable temporarily. However - assuming people still use it - I still plan to update it.
      >
      > Gregg Carlson
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, from what I understand, Carlson would have to recompile a new version. It may be he can create a version that will run on either version (32 or 64) of Win 7. That may well run on XP also, but I don't know for sure. We'll have to see what he decides to do.
      > >
      > > Don

    • jeffrey.paes
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011

        Microsoft has 2 free add-ons to Win7 that together will allow the existing hulls 1.9 program to work. I am using Ultimate SR1, but the instructions say this works on any Win7 box.

        I downloaded and loaded the XPM [XP Mode] add-on and then the  Virtual PC add-on. XPM works inside the Virtual PC. Took a min to figure out how to get the hulls program and the .hul files into XPM virtual machine, but once I did that it seems to run just fine.

        Jeff

      • gc4248@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
          It would be great if a future version could incorporate some of the hydrostatic features of boatCalc. 8^)