Re: Alternative Sail Plan for Micro

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2011
      I like the way the halyard is set up on Scamp so the peak of the yard
      remains up high when the halyard is let go. The halyard is attached
      quite low on the yard, passes behind the mast, through a loop that is
      fixed further up the yard and then to the top of the mast and down to
      the base.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw/scamp/index.htm

      Great instructions for setting a balance lug by Mik Storer.

      http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISRigging.html

      But again, to use a balance lug on a Micro the mast would have to be
      located further aft although some versions have very little of the boom
      ahead of the mast, so almost like a standing lug.

      Lymington River Scow comes to mind.

      http://www.lymingtonriverscow.org/Rigging--and--Equipment-Guide.php

      The boom can be shifted aft to allow for a jib or moved forward when not
      flying the jib. And look how it is reefed! Just a loop of line attached
      to the luff cringle that is pulled down and hooked over the boom and
      another line from the boom and through the leech cringle and snugs the
      loose sail around the boom. Works best on a small open boat of one with
      the slot top like a Birdwatcher.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Myles J. Swift" <mswift@...> wrote:

      > Nels,
      >

      > I was talking about the usage of the original sail plan. The OP was
      > concerned about the mast. I'm pointing out that he is trading one
      problem
      > for another. I'd rather deal with the problem that can be taken care
      of on
      > the hard or at the dock. If a williwaw hits I'd rather not be around a
      > scandalized sprit or gaff.
      >

      > Thinking in that frame of mind, the Welsford balanced lug rig seems to
      be a
      > winner. If you have been following SCAMP, they have rigged it so that
      both
      > yard and boom are captured to the mast. Neither of them is heavy
      enough to
      > do much damage
      >

      > SCAMP is pretty impressive. For the man overboard recovery tests it
      took a
      > little work to get it to go over. With the boat over well past 45
      degrees it
      > sailed right along, the tester had to stand on the rail at that point
      to go
      > over.
      >

      > Welsford, Storer, and Lillistone are antipodean Bolgeristas. The
      design was
      > commissioned by the people at Small Craft Advisor magazine. They have
      a boat
      > safety rating system test everyone should take. Micro scores well on
      this
      > test. The commission was for the safest 11'11" sailboat (staying under
      > registration limits) that Welsford could design. SCAMP has been
      described as
      > the best design for the early years of retirement. I've been looking
      at it
      > because of the water ballast which means a complete tow package well
      under
      > 500 pounds.
      >
      > http://smallcraftadvisor.com/sca-seaworthiness-test
      >

      > MylesJ

    • Myles J. Swift
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 8, 2011

        I’m aware of the Michalak designs. Having built a June Bug, a Micro, a Brick/Duck, and a Shoebox I want to make something nicer. I’m working my way towards having time available to do that.

        MylesJ