Re: Alternative Sail Plan for Micro

  • Myles J. Swift
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2011

      Nels,

      I was talking about the usage of the original sail plan. The OP was concerned about the mast. I’m pointing out that he is trading one problem for another. I’d rather deal with the problem that can be taken care of on the hard or at the dock. If a williwaw hits I’d rather not be around a scandalized sprit or gaff.

      Thinking in that frame of mind, the Welsford balanced lug rig seems to be a winner. If you have been following SCAMP, they have rigged it so that both yard and boom are captured to the mast. Neither of them is heavy enough to do much damage

      SCAMP is pretty impressive. For the man overboard recovery tests it took a little work to get it to go over. With the boat over well past 45 degrees it sailed right along, the tester had to stand on the rail at that point to go over.

      Welsford, Storer, and Lillistone are antipodean Bolgeristas. The design was commissioned by the people at Small Craft Advisor magazine. They have a boat safety rating system test everyone should take. Micro scores well on this test. The commission was for the safest 11’11” sailboat (staying under registration limits) that Welsford could design. SCAMP has been described as the best design for the early years of retirement. I’ve been looking at it because of the water ballast which means a complete tow package well under 500 pounds.

      http://smallcraftadvisor.com/sca-seaworthiness-test

      MylesJ

    • Myles J. Swift
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 8, 2011

        I’m aware of the Michalak designs. Having built a June Bug, a Micro, a Brick/Duck, and a Shoebox I want to make something nicer. I’m working my way towards having time available to do that.

        MylesJ