Re: [bolger] The boats on Phil's headstone

  • Mike Allison
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23 4:13 AM
      The only one I can tell is HMS Rose at lower left.

      Mike Allison...
    • BruceHallman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23 7:23 AM
        It would be nice to see a higher resolution photo!

        Someone might be able to find the MAIB article from about a year ago
        where (I recall) SA wrote about the headstone.

        I recognize several and can name AS-29, the AdvanceFisherman70 (twice,
        I think), St. Vallery, William D. Jochems,

        Others, that are now mere guesses, that might be a Black Skimmer, and
        a Birdwatcher and a Micro Navigator across the lower bottom.
        Interestingly, behind those, the long boat might be a boat from the
        USNavy commission, I recall hearing of a folding cargo carrier.

        Top left, could that be a Chebacco?, AS29, Low Power Cruiser?

        Middle left, St Vallery, Not sure which box keel hull, not sure five
        panel, AF70...

        On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Mike Allison <mysloop@...> wrote:

        > The only one I can tell is HMS Rose at lower left.
        >
        > Mike Allison...

      • apraphett777
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23 8:17 AM
          one of them looks to be "water van" another looks like something in the "AS" series

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew L" <owlnmole@...> wrote:

          > I recently came across this photo of Phil's headstone:
          >
          > http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=65821075&PIpi=38808580
          >
          > I wonder if anyone has a better shot?
          >
          > It would be interesting to identify each of the designs featured and to hear (perhaps from Susanne?) why those particular designs were chosen.
          >
          > Regards to all,
          >
          > Matthew

        • Connor, Patrick
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23 8:34 AM
            Moccasin.
            --------------------------

            It would be nice to see a higher resolution photo!

            Someone might be able to find the MAIB article from about a year ago
            where (I recall) SA wrote about the headstone.

            I recognize several and can name AS-29, the AdvanceFisherman70 (twice,
            I think), St. Vallery, William D. Jochems,

            Others, that are now mere guesses, that might be a Black Skimmer, and
            a Birdwatcher and a Micro Navigator across the lower bottom.
            Interestingly, behind those, the long boat might be a boat from the
            USNavy commission, I recall hearing of a folding cargo carrier.

            Top left, could that be a Chebacco?, AS29, Low Power Cruiser?

            Middle left, St Vallery, Not sure which box keel hull, not sure five
            panel, AF70...

            On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Mike Allison <mysloop@...> wrote:

            > The only one I can tell is HMS Rose at lower left.
            >
            > Mike Allison...

          • prairiedog2332
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 23 8:55 AM
              Top left center looks like Jesse Cooper to me. The first "Box" hull I
              think. Left of the Jochen's schooner I would guess Microtrawler, with
              it's planing central ski. I would suggest perhaps the theme might be a
              collection of Mr. Bolger's most favorite significant hull shape and
              design innovations. Is that Resolution just above the Microtrawler?
              With Watervan to the right of it? Perhaps the Romp hull 2nd row, then a
              design with a box keel, then Chebacco and St. Valery?

              Micro Navigator bottom right with Birdwatcher (with solent rig) to the
              left?

              Nels

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew L" <owlnmole@...> wrote:

              > I recently came across this photo of Phil's headstone:

              http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=65821075&PIpi=3880\
              8580

              > I wonder if anyone has a better shot?
              >
              > It would be interesting to identify each of the designs featured and
              to hear (perhaps from Susanne?) why those particular designs were
              chosen.

              > Regards to all,
              >
              > Matthew

            • prairiedog2332
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 23 9:17 AM
                The Box Keel - Alaskan Motorsailor?

                Nels

                \
                > 8580
                > >
                > > I wonder if anyone has a better shot?
                > >
                > > It would be interesting to identify each of the designs featured and
                > to hear (perhaps from Susanne?) why those particular designs were
                > chosen.
                > >
                > > Regards to all,
                > >
                > > Matthew

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 23 2:04 PM
                  Moccasin next to the Rose with that flying square topsail. I have been in love with that boat for 35 years.

                  HJ