Re: Opinions on Windsprint mast/sail retrofit

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 286 KB
    Here's that flat piece of polytarp. My apologies
  • MPCOSG
    Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
      Thanks, Nels. Luckily I have the centerboard (builder modified it) and the rudder assembly. And, some of the rigs I've seen do include hardware. Love to find people nearby, I'm in Southern Oxford Co., Maine.
      My only worry is that the sunfish rig is significantly underpowered and/or structurally weak on a boat like a Windsprint.
      Thanks, Matt

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > A Sunfish rig would work to begin with. But you still need some lumber and hardware for a leeboard and rudder set-up right? Whereabouts are you located? There may be a DIY Bolgerista or Michalamaniak nearby that might assist you.
      >
      > Nels
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "MPCOSG" <mpcosg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the "you can do it" and I've read that the mast and sail aren't extremely complicated. But, I have almost no tools (outside of a few hand tools and a sander), or the skills to use them, or the $400 or so needed for lumber, tools, tarp kit, and harware. Since I'm new in the neighborhood, I don't even have the option of borrowing a tool or running something by a person who's more knowledgeable. Fabricating a mast and sail it is just isn't an option sadly.
      > > Would the mast of a Sunfish be strong enough? I can find complete rigs with hardware for about $100. I've also seen rigs from small cat boats, Would those work as well?
      > > Thanks, Matt
      > >

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman <hallman@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On a Bolger Teal I made a few years back I used trees for the mast and
      > > > yards. I walked in the woods above my house and found three saplings about
      > > > the right size, and cut them, and carried them home. It worked good
      > > > enough. The yards weren't perfectly straight, but I just cut the polytarp
      > > > sail to match the crookedness of the yards (plus a few inches in the belly
      > > > to give the sail some draft) . IOW, I spread the polytarp on the lawn, then
      > > > I laid the yards on the polytarp and marked lines with a felt tip marker.
      > > > Then I added 3 or 4 inches at the center of each yard, tapering to zero at
      > > > the ends. Then added 2 inches for the fold over seam, cut, nylon zip tie to
      > > > yards.

    • prairiedog2332
      Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
        Just make sure you go out when the wind is light the first couple times
        or can even test out in your yard. When you let go the sheet, the sail
        just shifts downwind like a flag so little fear it getting damaged.

        I bet it will move you faster than you can row:-)