Re: [bolger] Free AS19 (not mine)

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9 8:02 AM
      > Free. Phil Bolger Advanced sharpie 19'.

      By my crude math, there is nearly $400 worth of salvageable lead
      ballast in that "free" boat.
    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10 2:17 AM
        Perhaps, but IIRC bulkhead bolted steel bars.

        The ad says a few built, but this is the only one, no? Built by Edgar, owned for a time by Mike, then Cabbie, then given to a charity I believe. The circular vent in the side gives it away I think. How many would have added one like that?

        > > Free. Phil Bolger Advanced sharpie 19'.
        >
        > By my crude math, there is nearly $400 worth of salvageable lead
        > ballast in that "free" boat.

      • c.ruzer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11 7:56 PM
          AS19 may go back on the list after receiving just yesterday via amazon from Ida Little and Michael Walsh their book "Beachcruising and Coastal Camping". First impressions: I am astonished by the comprehensiveness, eloquence, catching enthusiasm, and charm of this book; also appreciate the many illustrations and b&w photos. The publication date was 1992, but I have no idea why this book is not referenced more by the many online boaties of today. Great value. Re Bolger: there are many references, but especially to "Dugong" the Cruising Canoe (#365 from Different Boats, pp38-43) Ida and Michael built in 1979 and extensively cruised for some years at a stretch in the 80s, and caused them to adopt another approach into their established beachcombing lifestyle, and a new word, "beachorage", for a boating capability that'll be familiar to Bogerados. These two accomplish along shore similar to what Annie Hill did and wrote of later about Voyaging on a Small Income. I'm quite certain this read will learn me, and warm in the coming cold.