Free AS19 (not mine)

  • kayaker37
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2011
      This was for sale for a while, price had been reduced, and now free. Thought I would pass this on, I have nothing to do with this, thought someone might be interested. Seller sent me pics, I uploaded them to photobucket, it needs work, and time of which I don't have.

      Paul

      http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/2340356599.html

      Date: 2011-04-22, 11:32AM EDT
      Reply to: sale-t2pkw-2340356599@... [Errors when replying to ads?]
      Free. Phil Bolger Advanced sharpie 19'. This was one of Phil's more exotic designs but it sails very well. It needs only 8" of water with the lee boards up and you can beach it for a dry landing. Only a couple were built but this one sailed on Great South Bay for several seasons. It is a glass over wood boat and it does need some work. The boat is complete and ready for taking. Bring you own trailer. See more details at this site - http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as192939.htm

      http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/kayaker37/AS19/p1030527_180x240.jpg

      http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/kayaker37/AS19/p1030533_320x240.jpg
    • BruceHallman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2011
        > Free. Phil Bolger Advanced sharpie 19'.

        By my crude math, there is nearly $400 worth of salvageable lead
        ballast in that "free" boat.
      • c.ruzer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2011
          Perhaps, but IIRC bulkhead bolted steel bars.

          The ad says a few built, but this is the only one, no? Built by Edgar, owned for a time by Mike, then Cabbie, then given to a charity I believe. The circular vent in the side gives it away I think. How many would have added one like that?

          > > Free. Phil Bolger Advanced sharpie 19'.
          >
          > By my crude math, there is nearly $400 worth of salvageable lead
          > ballast in that "free" boat.

        • c.ruzer
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2011
            AS19 may go back on the list after receiving just yesterday via amazon from Ida Little and Michael Walsh their book "Beachcruising and Coastal Camping". First impressions: I am astonished by the comprehensiveness, eloquence, catching enthusiasm, and charm of this book; also appreciate the many illustrations and b&w photos. The publication date was 1992, but I have no idea why this book is not referenced more by the many online boaties of today. Great value. Re Bolger: there are many references, but especially to "Dugong" the Cruising Canoe (#365 from Different Boats, pp38-43) Ida and Michael built in 1979 and extensively cruised for some years at a stretch in the 80s, and caused them to adopt another approach into their established beachcombing lifestyle, and a new word, "beachorage", for a boating capability that'll be familiar to Bogerados. These two accomplish along shore similar to what Annie Hill did and wrote of later about Voyaging on a Small Income. I'm quite certain this read will learn me, and warm in the coming cold.