Fwd: Auray Punt sailing version

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2011
      Here is the response from Seth on the Auray punt

      For those who want to talk to him direct

      sethmacinko        gmail   dot com

      For those who want a complete file of all my punt pics email me and I will forward to you direct.

      HJ

      Hi Harry,

      I was out in Oregon when you wrote about this. My mom was having some surgery and I was offline for about a week. Back in RI now. I looked on the Bolger Yahoo Groups site but couldn't "see" any of the photos people posted regarding the Auray Punt thread.

      Lots of funny questions if you ask me. I just mocked up a sailing rig and clip-on leeboard to locate the correct positions of the mast step and dagger board before doing the actual, final, construction. I went with a balance lug because I wanted to move the mast aft a bit, out of the slender snout on the Auray Punt. The dagger board is incorporated into the existing middle thwart (seat). I don't have a good photo of that but could come up with one. Probably best for anyone who really wants to know about my adaptation to just e-mail me directly. Attached are two photos of a friend of mine trying it out. Looks to me like the sail is drawing well. She is an absolute delight to sail and one day I sailed her from Allen Harbor (in the pics) to Greenwich Cove, a distance of about 2 nm in the main part of Narragansett Bay. Good fun. Of course, she rows as well or better than she sails (anyone who hasn't rowed a small boat designed for rowing is in for an incredible experience.....). The comment about pounding in a chop? Well, sure, as do ALL Bolger/Payson designs with flat bottoms.... Never put me off a Tortoise though. The Auray Punt is great fun in the mooring fields and when heeled over a bit, I don't have any complaints.

      Seth

      IMG_6934.JPG

      IMG_6936.JPG