Re: More Micro keel questions

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 23, 2011

      Just as a footnote, antimony may develop a bad reputation out of this thread.
      I've only cast the smallest bit of lead myself, enuf to sink a rudder. But L. Francis Herreshoff promotes it in Sensible Cruising Designs as, IIRC, 'easier to work' than otherwise.

      No book handy.

      On Apr 22, 2011, at 11:25 PM, fishtronics wrote:

      Hi Rod, lead is more like plastic than steel. The stuff from the printer has antimony in it, making it harder, but still plastic (extra good for casting bullets). Try going to a plastic store and get a drill bit made for Lexan, like these:

      http://www.rplastics.com/plasticdrill.html

      It has the point dulled properly. Also make sure you drill at very slow speed, use a variable speed drill, don't push too hard, and pull out frequently to clear the chips. Use kerosene as a lube, get a oilcan and keep pumping it in as you drill. Some say milk works, but I have not tried it. Jason K

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rod_cahill" <rod_cahill@...> wrote:

      > Plan A with the template wasn't too successful so I am going with plan B and have epoxied the ingots in place and melted some lead between the ingots. Seems to have worked pretty well. Problem now is that I am drilling holes for the SS screws and out of the 3 holes that I have drilled, with the utmost care, all 3 have broken. I have used some WD40 light oil lubricant but as soon as the bit touched the lead they broke. It is going to be an expensive exercise if I am to drill a couple of hundred holes! I am told that the lead is harder than normal being from a printers. Any suitable solutions would be greatly appreciated.

      __
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 23, 2011