[bolger] Porta-potties: A Stinky Subject

  • ernie@surfree.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 1999
      After a looong discussion (which I lost) over who was actually supposed
      to empty the porta potty after a trip this summer, I had the unpleasant
      task of emptying a quite fragrant variatal of effluent.

      I’ve got the goop out, but the thing still, well, STINKS. This is the
      first year we used the thing, is this normal, or did we really blow it
      by forgetting it in the shed for a few months? Anyone get smells out of
      these things? I’ve used ammonia in my car to remove dead fish smell
      (“oh, THAT’S where that other bunker got to”). Would this work if left
      to stand in the tank?

      Any advice very much appreciated. Please keep the jibes to 1 per
      customer.
    • amctm@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 1999
        erni-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=661
        > After a looong discussion (which I lost) over who was actually
        supposed
        > to empty the porta potty after a trip this summer, I had the
        unpleasant
        > task of emptying a quite fragrant variatal of effluent.
        >
        > I’ve got the goop out, but the thing still, well, STINKS. This is the
        > first year we used the thing, is this normal, or did we really blow it
        > by forgetting it in the shed for a few months? Anyone get smells out
        of
        > these things? I’ve used ammonia in my car to remove dead fish smell
        > (“oh, THAT’S where that other bunker got to”). Would this work if left
        > to stand in the tank?
        >
        > Any advice very much appreciated. Please keep the jibes to 1 per
        > customer.

        Ammonia probably won't kill the bacteria which is causing the odor.
        Try using a cup of bleach per gallon of water. Let it sit in the potty
        for a day or two, then clean with regular household cleaner containing
        bleach (never mix ammonia and bleach). If the odor continues you can
        try again with deodorizer available at west marine called odorloss.
        Hope that helps

      • David Cassidy
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 1999
          Months?!!!!! I've always emptied mine within 24 hours of arriving home,
          and it has never carried an oder.

          I suppose anything is worth a try (re: ammonia), but it may be time for a
          new porta-pottie.

          Live and learn.

          Months???

          eGroup Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/
        • rlundy@atlantic.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 1999
            This actually happenned to a friend on my dock when I lived in
            Charlotte. Someone went potty in Nov. and he didn't visit the boat
            again until late Feb.

            Anyway, he (after emptying) got a big wash tub, mixed in bleach and hot
            water and let the thing soak for a looong time, changing the water
            every few days. He then let it sit and air out for about a week. I
            think this got rid of the bad smell, but the interior of his catalina
            22 had a strong bleach odor. The soaking apparently (he thought) would
            get to the little seals, etc that tend to hold odor and that can't be
            washed.

            So what does the shed smell like?

            Robert Lundy
            St. Petersburg, Fla.