Re: [bolger] Re: Chinese or expensive occume for hull?

  • Connor, Patrick
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13, 2011
      My Whalewatcher is built from 1/2" fir plywood, glass and epoxy sheathed outside, just sealed with epoxy inside. Before being finished by Mason Smith, the bare hull sat outside under a blue tarp in southern California for several years and the exterior was in very good shape even then, just needing fresh paint. Finish on outside has held up very well and there has been no checking whatsoever. There is checking on the inside, but seems stable as it has not broken the new coats of paint applied by Mason. The builder of the hull, Tim Anderson, did a fine job of glassing, priming and painting and this certainly had something to do with it.

      When not in use, she sleeps on her trailer in a pole barn. Regardless of what was built from, she would need to be kept under snug cover and checked occasionally due to the centerline opening. This would apply whether her Sunbrella snap over cover is on or not - that is, if you want her to last.

      Patrick A. Connor
      Executive Vice President & Manager,
      National Services Group
      Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
      141 East Town Street, Suite 101
      Columbus, Ohio 43215-5412
      Phone: 614-341-1900 Ext 202
      Mobile: 614-208-9308