Re: Phil's opinion of micro vs. long micro

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 6 11:30 PM
      For the tow weight challenged LM lover, here's the Zeiger's old Zoon,
      which apparently was sailed without fatality.
      http://www.akzeigers.com/DaveAnke.html
    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10 4:50 PM
        oop? Out Of Print? oops. How long, how far did they cruise? Somewhat removed from the original ideas of relaxed sailing simplicity is it not, with lots more strings 'n things to attend to? On that sort of water though she was probably a cheap, comfy, dry, roomy, and child-safe cruising choice. Good on 'em!

        I suppose from the looks that they got the middle and leeboards ideas from Whalewatcher? And chopped off the transom square to mount the outboard motor off the side there - differently to what others have done further forward? And kept the oarports? Looks like a big change in rudder foil profile and chord. Is that a boomkin for a mizzen too? And what... a junk main sail?

        There was once a Nacy Jack... open boat, but similar hull IIRC... how would a Birdwatcher do at that size? Cut back on the transparent panelling to lower cost...

        How'd their leeboards go? Much weatherhelm?

        Thanks for sharing the $600 Boat photo scan.

        .--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka97203@...> wrote:

        > This atmospheric photo is taken from Dan Hookham's The Simplistic
        > Sailboat, A Family Cruise in a $600 boat, his tale of building, then
        > cruising the San Juan and Gulf Islands with wife and infant daughter
        > in a self-adapted Birdwatcher.
        >
        > The book is now oop. Too bad. There are several fine pictures of the
        > boat. It's an earnest plea for living simply and a helpful cruising
        > guide.
        > Mark

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 10 6:29 PM
          New 004.tif here

          Publication date is 1998. I was still able to get a new condition copy recently.

          They went far an wide in the PNW across several years in this boat, starting from their home in Belliingham, Washington. Base is a huge home built multichine houseboat called Homeboat. His design philosophy went like

          " Phil Bolger designed a boat called Birdwatcher which looks similar to Swallow and was the inspiration for Swallow. Several people have recognized Birdwatcher in Swallow, but they usually have a comment such as, "I didn't know Birdwatcher was so big." Well, I didn't know she was so big either, and I still don't know, not having seen the plans. I am the kind of person who can't let boat designers do their job. I have to change everything because I think I have a better idea. When considering Swallow's design, I believe we made many right choices. No doubt Birdwatcher sail and rows better than Swallow, but Swallow is bigger and carries more gear.

          She's got small, triangular transoms bow and stern. Most significant difference apart from the rig is the one man cockpit in the stern, all on on the same LOA. Must be somewhat beamier. Flat tarp main'sl, later converted to Junk. Oars, yes. He got a motor later, to make life simpler the other way 'round, but rowing was a big part of the fun.

          The trouble with these boats for a singlehander might be that, cockpit or no, one needs the family or a big pile of stores further forward to be in proper trim.

          Maybe you could pay for the extra size of Nancy Jack in acx plywood over the plastic! Note Dan's solution to that! Nice privacy.

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10 6:58 PM
            Then again, regarding BW trim this picture shows it may not be so
            critical.
            http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3329/3581038080_c5d6601b93_o.jpg
          • c.ruzer
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 10 9:36 PM
              When loaded over the drawn 1500lbs displacement waterlines shown there's a note says to trim with the bow about about 2" clear of still water. Extra loading, and BW2 is built several hundred pounds heavier, would top out at how much?

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11 12:28 AM
                BW2 particulars put a trailer weight of 800 - 1000 pounds, an added 200, and draft, "Still not much,"  presumably on the same 1500 pound max.
                Double enders take overloading by the stern more gracefully. Not so is still better. That picture shows the boat almost exactly level.

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11 11:48 AM
                  A quick BW hull model through Hulls, starting from 800, 1000, and
                  1500 pounds shows a pounds per inch immersion of about 350#.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 12 4:22 PM
                    So you could increase the load carried by 100% and only sink two and a bit inches as BW1 weighs 600-700lbs empty? There's an issue with the extra loading possibly raising the COG height from being close to the floor though... external ballast then? External ballast takes the boat in a different direction, perhaps to do some offshore twitching too. Spring brings out the birds.

                    Twitchers,

                    "...I named Birdwatcher -- after reading an article by Jack Dunn in which he used that word for "craft in which one might poke through a marsh or backwater in search of nothing more than a pleasant lunch and a tan." (BWAOM, p234)

                    BIRDS.
                    Birdwatcher, Anhinga, Teal, Shearwater, Barn Owl, Sea Bird '86, Blackbird, Double Eagle, Flying Splinter, Storm Petrel, Bird of Dawning, Swallow, Archaeopteryx, Big Bird, Shady Lady, Dovekie, Featherwind, Skimmer, Hawkeye, Nightingale, Sea Hawk