Re: [bolger] Re: Dry Bilges

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 1:51 PM
      I am now sailing a Vega 27 and am happy to have a drain plug in the bilge.  My ice box drains into the builge so when I haul I dump some detergent in the bilge and scrub around in there and wash the whole thing out with a garden hose. The boat stays pretty sweet and it might not if it weren't easy to scrub her out.  If any food crumbs get in there a good rinsing out is also a good rot preventer on a wooden boat          Doug

      On 04/02/2011 04:23 PM, John and Kathy Trussell wrote:

      I once was a passenger on a big deep v. The owner’s wife backed us into the water and agreed to meet us at the end of the day. We motored 6 miles offshore to an artificial reef, anchored, and began rigging the rods when we noticed a lot of water over our feet. We had a plug but we had not put in. Exciting times! Happily, the motor started, we tied a float cushion to the anchor line and dumped it, and were able to get up on a plane and suck the water out. Since then, I have painted ‘PLUG!’ on my trailer tongue as a reminder to install the plug before I launch. So far, it has worked.

      JohnT