ANHINGA recap on ESC prospect (was Re: Eeek progress)

  • daschultz2000
    Message 1 of 91 , Apr 1, 2011
      The text quoted from BWAOM below is from the chapter concerning Whalewatcher. I'm not sure why it is included in this conversation.

      Don

      "> ECONOMY SEAGOING CRUISER

      > Why is ESC more closely proportioned to Eeek than to the Anhinga?
      >
      > Answer:
      >
      > "I suggested pulling out the length to 29 feet and the breadth to 6 feet 6 inches. The length leaves the whole rig, including a compact 4 x 4 tow car, within the legal limit of most if not all states, and the breadth will just go between the wheels of a trailer, to ride low to the road and float on and off at a shallow angle.
      >
      > It's possible to design a trailer from which this boat can be launched without wetting the wheel bearings. (Trailer design is out of my line, but I've seen it done.) The trailer can be quite short, with highway lights and plate clamped on the stern of the boat rather than on a long tail on the trailer. The boats construction amounts to a giant box girder and does not need any support from the trailer." (BED AND BREAKFAST, SAIL, BWAOM, p242)
      > "
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 91 of 91 , Mar 22, 2012
        One version of EEEK! is the cut down Cruising Canoe from SBJ 21.  I built the hull, tried it out; too small for me, then passed it to Dave Leavitt.

        At that scale the deep, double ended stern was not hard to turn, even though its big fat skeg makes the craft very directionally stable. It made me laugh that with every stoke there was plenty of roll side to side but the bow went really straight where she looked.

        That stern... slow to turn?? Pick your water?