Re: [bolger] ANHINGA recap on ESC prospect (was Re: Eeek progress)

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 91 , Apr 1, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:07 PM, <gc4248@...> wrote:
      >those should be sealed off when underway. Interesting that Bolger views the design as self-righting. Makes it a more attractive build.

      I have studied the Anhinga design, and if built per plans, it should
      be solidly self righting. It has high up buoyancy in the full height
      aft box flotation chamber by the stern post, and the cockpit seats
      provide buoyancy if she is lying on her side, and the main cabin would
      be floating because the access hatch has freeboard at 90+ degrees of
      heel. There is powerful righting moment from the water ballast under
      the floor of the cockpit. (roughly 500 lbs of water). In my opinion,
      the 'Sandy Bottoms' capsize was only possible due to a compromised
      stability curves stemming from a lack of flotation chambers. (And
      potentially from a failure to fill the water ballast tanks?)
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 91 of 91 , Mar 22, 2012
        One version of EEEK! is the cut down Cruising Canoe from SBJ 21.  I built the hull, tried it out; too small for me, then passed it to Dave Leavitt.

        At that scale the deep, double ended stern was not hard to turn, even though its big fat skeg makes the craft very directionally stable. It made me laugh that with every stoke there was plenty of roll side to side but the bow went really straight where she looked.

        That stern... slow to turn?? Pick your water?