Re: Eeek progress

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 91 , Mar 31 7:27 PM
      A couple of useful notes all right. Luckily, anhinga.hul's baseline
      is zero, so the 1479# is more or less valid. I don't understand,
      though, how not to have a bottom.

      The difference in how shippy the boat looks between 1500 and 2400
      pounds has me thinking that apart from the tripping steps and other
      changes, Sandy Bottoms main problem was being in a light condition.

      For your proposed cruiser, given the uncertainties, wouldn't an
      easily reefed lug rig be preferred? I hadn't seen the Bufflead video
      before. Thanks! His combination Dipping and Balanced Lug is a kick.
      Also, I'm sticking with doubting the stern is a major problem in the
      design. The Cruising Canoe is a bit of a roller, but that's because
      the occupant is so large a part of the weight overall. The big skeg
      of a stern gives it great directional stability. The front end does
      have limitations for coastal cruising though.

      Figuring out how high to cut the chine to add a box forefoot has
      defeated me in the past. The boat would no longer be Anhinga, but,
      coming soon, another try at that.
      Mark

      What's your estimate
      On Mar 31, 2011, at 6:01 PM, gc4248@... wrote:
      > Mark-
      >
      > One thing you might notice with Hulls is that a model made with no
      > bottom will show about twice the righting moment of a model made
      > with a bottom, i.e. an Anhinga model with bottom will have a
      > righting moment of ~720 @ 15 deg. This means little in actual
      > comparison with the real boat but it makes comparing different
      > designs and design changes easier.
      >
      > I've also noticed that waterline height given is from Y = 0 and not
      > from the bottom of the hull, and that a hull whose lowest point is
      > above Y = 0 will have a lower righting moment than the same hull
      > whose lowest point is at Y = 0. If you have a model that is "up in
      > the air", a quick way to set the lowest point to zero is to enter a
      > pitch angle of 0.1, then enter a pitch angle of 0.

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 91 of 91 , Mar 22 11:30 PM
        One version of EEEK! is the cut down Cruising Canoe from SBJ 21.  I built the hull, tried it out; too small for me, then passed it to Dave Leavitt.

        At that scale the deep, double ended stern was not hard to turn, even though its big fat skeg makes the craft very directionally stable. It made me laugh that with every stoke there was plenty of roll side to side but the bow went really straight where she looked.

        That stern... slow to turn?? Pick your water?