Mast tabernacle setup

  • rod_cahill
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
      I would like to see some photos of peoples setups to keep unstayed masts vertical when using a tabernacle. I have the hinge worked out but want some simple ideas for keeping mast upright
    • alefoot
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rod_cahill" wrote:

        > I would like to see some photos of peoples setups to keep unstayed masts vertical when using a tabernacle..."

        Three photos of the tabernacle on our Micro are now in a folder in the group Photos. Folder is called "Micro Tabernacle". This is a regular 'cuddy' micro, although fitted with a Navigator rig, hence all the hstrings. Tabernacle is _not_ the one shown on PB&F upgrade sheets.

        Probably self explanatory; other images available.

        cheers
        Derek
      • dennislancaster36
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
          Derek,

          That is one beautiful looking Micro, would love to see more pictures posted.

          tks,

          Dennis

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "alefoot" <dgw@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rod_cahill" wrote:
          > >
          > > I would like to see some photos of peoples setups to keep unstayed masts vertical when using a tabernacle..."
          >
          > Three photos of the tabernacle on our Micro are now in a folder in the group Photos. Folder is called "Micro Tabernacle". This is a regular 'cuddy' micro, although fitted with a Navigator rig, hence all the hstrings. Tabernacle is _not_ the one shown on PB&F upgrade sheets.
          >
          > Probably self explanatory; other images available.
          >
          > cheers
          > Derek

        • E Light
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hi Derek,

            I'm curious to know where that board that's holding the mast up in the photo "MastUpFront" disappeared to, as there's nothing in that spot in the photo "MastDownFront". From drawings I've seen I thought I remembered that board hinging down for mast lowering. Are you able to take it out altogether?

            Thanks,
            Eric
            - - - -

            On 11-03-04 8:16 PM, alefoot wrote:
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rod_cahill" wrote:

            > I would like to see some photos of peoples setups to keep unstayed masts vertical when using a tabernacle..."

            Three photos of the tabernacle on our Micro are now in a folder in the group Photos. Folder is called "Micro Tabernacle". This is a regular 'cuddy' micro, although fitted with a Navigator rig, hence all the hstrings. Tabernacle is _not_ the one shown on PB&F upgrade sheets.

            Probably self explanatory; other images available.

            cheers
            Derek
          • Rod Cahill
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
              Derek,  Beautiful boat. Sorry but I cannot see how it keeps the mast vertical. Does the mast lift and drop into the socket, I don't think so. Is your hinge stainless steel and is it sleeved? Love to see some interior shots of your boat. Love your artistic flair.

              Cheers,

              Rod Cahill
              Bowning, Australia

              > I would like to see some photos of peoples setups to keep unstayed masts vertical when using a tabernacle..."

              Three photos of the tabernacle on our Micro are now in a folder in the group Photos. Folder is called "Micro Tabernacle". This is a regular 'cuddy' micro, although fitted with a Navigator rig, hence all the hstrings. Tabernacle is _not_ the one shown on PB&F upgrade sheets.

              Probably self explanatory; other images available.

              cheers
              Derek

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Rod Cahill
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
                Dennis,  I have worked it out now. Is the "keeper" hinged at the bottom or does it sit in a slot? Apart from the piece of rope what else stops it from dropping?
                Thanks,

                Rod

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
                  Thanks for the compliments; all I can say is that the camera covers up those of my shortcomings not addressed by epoxy :)

                  I've added a few more pictures to the Micro Tabernacle folder in the Photos section of this [Bolger] group to try to better illustrate how I addressed the tabernacle issues.
                  The tabernacle was designed and built before I had access to an PB&F design, and I'm no boat designer. My theory was that as long as my solution transferred the loads into the hull at the same places and over at least as large an area as on the original step and partners then all should be adequate.

                  Most of the forward [boat propelling] load was originally transferred to the hull by an inch and a half thick partner which was going to be replaced by a three quarter inch outer diameter stainless steel tube. To distribute the stress into the mast I set a hardwood pad with stepped ends into the relevant section of mast. To minimize slop a fibreglass and epoxy tube was wound over the tube [oiled newsprint being used as a barrier to prevent the tube permanently adhering to the pin former]. Images 'mastBearer' and bearingTube' illustrate the revised mast structure.

                  On the original partners, there exists a second large cross piece [the fid] which drops in behind the mast after stepping. This I made a permanent part, and then the original partner was removed along with the foothold section of the bow transom. The uprights were laminated up from three pieces with notches to accommodate a jigsaw puzzle of interlocks intended to ensure that I had adequate mechanical load transfer even without reliance on the wonders of epoxy. The original step was remade as a dual socket for the ends of the two uprights, and a new open fronted socket made to receive the original heel.

                  The locking pin on some PB&F tabernacle designs appears to be loose; simply stepped into a socket, while others are hinged. I toyed with the hinging method but was discouraged by the awkwardness of the geometry and access to the retrofit step area. My lockpin is assembled around a piece of three-sixteenths thick stainless bar. The end of the bar forms a tongue through a slot in the new step, and can be further retained for peace-of-mind security with a shackle passed through a hole. The close up of the pin detail gives the lie to any notions of fine carpentry you may have harboured regarding my boats. I'll plead that access was uncomfortable and awkward, and that I really did not intend this part of the boat to be subject to such close scrutiny :)
                • E Light