Re: A Bolger launch?

  • f_swygert
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2011
      I'm with you on this Doug. I think I'd definitely rig one of the golf cart motors up for a sail boat auxiliary, at least where a 5-10 hp motor would work. An electric motor is generally rated at continuous output, a mechanical gasoline engine is typically rated at max output -- though I'm not positive about outboards. Typical golf cart motors are rated at 5-8 hp, but that should be continuous running as long as they are adequately cooled. They usually run at 48V (8x6V batteries). 12V deep cycle batteries won't last as long as 6V golf cart batts, but that's when they are drained and charged often. If more than just docking or getting out of the marina (more than 30 minutes) is needed then crank the generator and keep the batts up. Most sail boats have a small generator anyway. Not much difference between the generator running or an outboard as far as noise, though the gen can be placed in an area where the noise is muffled. Solar cells could help with the batteries, especially a trickle charge to keep them up while docked. Don't think I'd try for much more than that. The battery/gen system could double for lighting and such too.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

      > I think electric is going to very practical for sailboat
      > auxiliaries in the not to distant future as long as you spend most
      > nights in a marina where you can charge batteries or use the motor very
      > little. If you are going off cruising they probably won't work unless
      > you want to listen to a generator run all night.
      > The future is almost here. Doug

    • Myles J. Swift
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2011

        You might want to look up the details on the conversion of the Crater Lake tour boats to electric. It details the research and the numbers on changing over to zero pollution for the launch that takes you out to the Wizard and around the lake. I just took a quick look and did not spot it. It is/was the regular government style of documentation with types of motors, types of batteries, ranges, costs, etc that were researched before doing the conversion.

        MylesJ

      • f_swygert
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2011
          Modify a Sneakeasy hull. Use the box keel but curve the sides of the bow less and make the box deep and wide enough for the batteries placed sideways. Place the motor in the rear section of the box and stick the prop almost straight out the back of the box, sort of tunnel hull. Maybe make a tunnel in the rear of the box. Move the cockpit forward 2-3 feet, and maybe make it 12-18" wider at the widest point back. Would make a nice low speed launch that way.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Greg Kay <gregmkay@...> wrote:

          > What I was thinking about personally was something on the general order of
          > above-water appearance as the fantail launch posted earlier
          > (http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=400-092) but of a lighter
          > build on an easily-driven lower hull, preferably flat bottom. I'm thinking the
          > battery bank should go along the centerline (or possibly even inside a shallow
          > box keel?) with the low weight adding maximum stability (allowing for people
          > moving around) with minimum draft. It might be possible to extend the cruising
          > range by making the shading canopy top dual-purpose; cover the top with solar
          > cells to boost the battery charge. Granted, it wouldn't keep up with the
          > discharge, but it would slow the rate down a bit while adding minimal weight.
          > Just some thoughts...

        • Mike Allison
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2011
          You may want to take a close look at the motor first. A lot of them do not have an output shaft that you can mount a pulley or gear on. Some rely on the trans for even the end plate.
          Atached is a pic of a commond motor from one. You could still use it, but you would need part of the trans for the end plate and output shaft and maybe another bearing to support the shaft.

          Michael Allison

          I'm with you on this Doug. I think I'd definitely rig one of the golf cart motors up for a sail boat auxiliary, at least where a 5-10 hp motor would work. An electric motor is generally rated at continuous output, a mechanical gasoline engine is typically rated at max output -- though I'm not positive about outboards. Typical golf cart motors are rated at 5-8 hp, but that should be continuous running as long as they are adequately cooled. They usually run at 48V (8x6V batteries). 12V deep cycle batteries won't last as long as 6V golf cart batts, but that's when they are drained and charged often. If more than just docking or getting out of the marina (more than 30 minutes) is needed then crank the generator and keep the batts up. Most sail boats have a small generator anyway. Not much difference between the generator running or an outboard as far as noise, though the gen can be placed in an area where the noise is muffled. Solar cells could help with the batteries, especially a trickle charge to keep them up while docked. Don't think I'd try for much more than that. The battery/gen system could double for lighting and such too.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

          > I think electric is going to very practical for sailboat
          > auxiliaries in the not to distant future as long as you spend most
          > nights in a marina where you can charge batteries or use the motor very
          > little. If you are going off cruising they probably won't work unless
          > you want to listen to a generator run all night.
          > The future is almost here. Doug

        • sirdarnell
          Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2011
            Not a launch, but plans include design for solar array and motor/batteries in keel.

            http://www.storerboatplans.com/Solarboat/solarboat.html

            David

          • gc4248@yahoo.com
            Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2011
              Not a Bolger design, but John Welsford has a sharpie launch design:

              http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/piwakawaka/index.htm

              and Selway-Fisher offers a couple of plywood designs, Rose and Fanny:

              http://www.selway-fisher.com/Steamup20.htm